I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diabetes and PC

User
Posted 27 May 2023 at 09:37

I've just finished 20 sessions of Radio Therapy and am two months in to Hormone Therapy by monthly injection.

My blood pressure and sugar levels have shot up. My GP is investigation type 2 diabetes.

Is there a link?

User
Posted 27 May 2023 at 22:24

I have noticed with some of my meds that they do affect the Blood Sugars but the Surgery still say I am pre diabetes, I just ignore them.

read the paperwork that comes with each medication and it will say in the side effects list any interactions or concerns.

Chris.

User
Posted 28 May 2023 at 00:06
You guys need to read up on low carb diets!
User
Posted 28 May 2023 at 01:21

Hormone therapy (at least the injections) often push up cholesterol, blood glucose, and blood pressure, a combination known as Metabolic Disease. You should ideally be having all these monitored and corrected if necessary, but in practice this rarely happens unless you ask. The other thing is that without Testosterone, both HDL and LDL cholesterol are bad, so it's the total cholesterol you are interested in rather that the ratio.

One of the experts in this area has suggested all patients on hormone therapy should automatically be put on Metformin and a statin to counter the effects of hormone therapy, but there is no such official advice.

Hormone therapy pushed my blood glucose up by 1 (but I was still just in the normal range), and pushed up my blood pressure by 25mmHg. I don't think it changed my cholesterol, but I was put on low dose statin anyway about the same time I started hormone therapy, and I don't have any readings for some time after that.

User
Posted 28 May 2023 at 12:24
Agree with Andy. It is the HT that can give concern. My GP of the time took the initiative to get a full set of bloods done as he was particularly concerned about affect on my kidneys.
Barry
User
Posted 28 May 2023 at 22:42
I was on Zoladex for 3 yrs (together with 2yrs abiraterone, enzalutimide, prednisolone on trial). Very soon after treatment started blood pressure increased (had to temporarily stop abiraterone, enzalutimide) checked out, started BP tablets and obv still on them now, nearly 8 yrs later. ( guess may have needed BP tablets at some time as my twin brother had been on them for few yrs& 2 sisters were).
Cholesterol increased but gp not too bothered&accepted HT probably contributed, same with the diabetes angle as that became pre diabetic.
Last summer, after routine bloods at GP, started statins tho GP said stats had gone down as a few years after effects of HT but along with age etc good practice to have statins.
Diabetes angle had settled down well enough.
Suppose I was fortunate in that GP accepted that HT has several effects and happy to wait to act, obv there was no 'danger'.
Bloods were still showing a couple of anomalies but slight although Zinc was low and advised to take multivitamins that had Zinc in them, levels will be checked again in a month or so.
So, it seems certain that HT does affect the likes of cholesterol, BP, diabetes plus others but in general things improve once HT wears off.
Peter