I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Possible prostatis

User
Posted 20 Jun 2023 at 10:13

It started off a few months ago with a aching just below the belly button and soreness at tip of urethra. Then aching stomach muscles and groin. Went to doctor who did urine test which was clear and said it was a muscular strain and the penis looked fine and put the aches down to a muscular strain but to go back if things got worse.

Tip of urethra then started with a burning sensation and had a swab test which was clear.

Went  to a well respected osteopath who diagnosed a trapped nerve in back so I started treatment there. I then started to get aching testicles which osteopath said would be down to trapped nerve but went to doctors and examined my testicles and couldn’t find anything wrong but said come back in five weeks if still aching. I was reassured a few days later when I was turning my body at work which felt stiff and when I went a bit further I felt my groin starting to hurt so was confident what osteopath said.

two weeks ago groin and testicle ache went and just had soreness, burning at tip of urethra on and off and aching stomach muscles. Told osteopath thought we were getting somewhere and then a few days later groin ache is back so feel like back to square one.

Only urine issue I have is sometimes I feel like a rush of urine comes up to urethra and it stings a bit but doesnt not leak, this comes and goes and no pain when urinating.

Do you think this could be prostatis or should I stick with the osteopath.

thanks in advance mark

User
Posted 20 Jun 2023 at 21:27
Honestly, I think I would save money by pausing the osteopathy and asking the GP for a referral to urology to see if this is prostatitis.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Jun 2023 at 22:09

I agree with Lyn. I suffered from number of urinary issues for a few years and when my GPs and urologists could not find anything wrong they told me that it was prostatitis. I had many symptoms: burning sensations when peeing, pain in the groin, pain in the pelvis area, pain in my back...you name it and I had it! Prostatitis is a catch-all term for urinary symptoms that can't be diagnosed. Trapped nerve is often one of those terms used when physios or osteopaths can't find any obvious source of pain. I strongly recommend that you check your PSA checked and see a urologist to make sure there is nothing sinister going on. My prostatitis lasted a few years, off and on, and eventually my PSA started rising and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. That was 12 years ago. I don't want to alarm you but I have a suspicion that prostatitis may have caused my cancer. There is some evidence for this but not conclusive. Best thing to do is to drink a lot of water and have your PSA checked annually. The rate of rise of PSA is often more significant than its absolute value even if it is within your age range, as mine was. My vigilance caught my cancer very early - I was very lucky. Good luck.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 12:49

Thank you for your replies it’s much appreciated. I will make an appointment with the doctor.

Just to clarify on the second response from Pratap and Jeannie I wasn’t really thinking it was prostate cancer are you saying that is a possibility with these symptoms or that if it’s prostatis it could lead to that?
many thanks mark

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 15:24
There is no evidence that prostatitis leads to prostate cancer.

Your symptoms are typical of infection or inflammation, not of cancer. However, you should be monitoring your PSA as it is perfectly possible to have prostatitis and prostate cancer at the same time.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 19:21

Thanks Lynne i will get to the doctors and ask for psa test. I’m only 44 so was thinking by the law of averages prostate cancer would be unlikely.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2023 at 23:50

Prostatitis will partially invalidate a PSA test. A very low or very high level might still be useful, but anything in the middle wouldn't tell you anything useful without getting the prostatitis fixed first.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2023 at 00:11

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Lynne I will get to the doctors and ask for psa test. I’m only 44 so was thinking by the law of averages prostate cancer would be unlikely.

I think you need to get a proper assessment to see whether there is prostatitis, urinary tract infection or some other inflammatory pelvic disease before you start worrying about prostate cancer. Prostatitis / UTI / IPD can be notoriously difficult to diagnose so may be beyond the skills & knowledge of the GP. As Andy has said, prostatitis & UTI can make PSA testing unreliable.