I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bicalutamide shortage

User
Posted 22 Jun 2023 at 15:44

My normal branch of Boots have to order 150 mg of bicalutamide in from central facility. Today they told me there wasn't any at their central facility and it was saying there was a production problem, she checked some other nearby branches a I picked it up from there.

During the conversation she said shall I return your prescription to the "Spine" , me "where" ? 

The following may explain it better than I can.

"This is because the pharmacist has to return the prescription to the spine and contact the practice directly to cancel the medication. If the medication is not cancelled it will be available to any other pharmacy if the patient changes their nomination."

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Jun 2023 at 18:15

There was a shortage a few months ago. Maybe it's the same continuous shortage.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2023 at 19:02

Andy , this is only the second lot of tablets I have requested, I am only on it for six months but I only get issued with a month of tablets, all my other meds I get two months at a time.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 09:19

I would suggest going back to your hospital team in case the hospital pharmacy can provide it.

An alternative would be to have one of the injections to keep you going for 12 weeks, or they may decide you don't need the hormone therapy sufficiently to worry about it.

User
Posted 23 Jun 2023 at 10:27
There seems to be some shortages with certain pharmaceuticals. I have been waiting for months for a certain ointment and rumour is it won't be available until October. Also, my pharmacy can't get hold of 20mg Atorvastatin so for last couple of months I have got them to supply double 10mg dose instead. Actually, this drug is receiving a lot criticism for very severe side effects in a number of people even from some doctors, so I intend to discuss with my GP about discontinuing it.
Barry