I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wife cant deal

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 17:31

Evening after deciding on surgery my wife now tells me she can't deal with the stress of surgery Help do I just go for HTRT 

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 17:27

I'm sure you didn't want cancer, but that is the situation you are in.

Every way out of that situation has side effects that you don't want. The worst option for you (though probably not for a 90 year old) is do nothing and side effect death.

You've been on this site a month and done as much research as can be expected from a patient. Your medical professionals have given advice, based on the 'average' man, in reality we are all very close to average so it is probably right for you.

If your wife has already done the same level of research as you, and thinks another option is better, then start talking. If her only research is reading the 'patient consent' forms for surgery, and seeing they are onerous, then she needs to do a lot more research, for example mood swings on HT. she will then either agree surgery is best, or come up with a better option.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 17:47
What is it specifically that she feels she can't deal with? You might find it useful to attend a joint counselling session. Macmillan do excellent counselling.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 20:17

Hi Mustard, Oh No! Please don’t do that! If surgery is the best option for you then go for it. HTRT is NOT an easy option, I can vouch for that!

Everyone is different, but you both need to go and speak to someone together and discuss your wishes and fears. Do you have a Maggies Center nearby? If so, just go along and ask to speak to someone - you don’t need to make an appointment. Or speak to your CNS who should be able to help you both come to a decision that’s best for you both.

Good luck, and once you’ve made your decision I am sure you will feel better for it.

Derek

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 21:08

Gook advice from Derek.

Do you know what aspect of it she's stressing about?
Has she suggested some other treatment which she would be less stressed about?

You might point her towards the National Prostate Cancer Partners Support Group.

Edited by member 24 Jun 2023 at 21:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 21:30
Hi Mustard

Agree with Decho, please both of you go and have a chat with your consultant, Macmillan nurse.

Obviously it affects you both in your relationship but at the end of the day it really is down to yourself and what you think is the very best option for you. Hopefully your wife will be understanding in your decision, especially with the more information you are both given. If you or your wife have any doubts, worries concerns at this point i really would speak to someone about it.

Good luck

Mal

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 23:12
Your wife can't deal with the possibility of you being cured of cancer?

Get a new wife!

User
Posted 24 Jun 2023 at 23:22

Mustard

I was a year older than you when diagnosed in October last year, with my consultant giving me no option other than surgery. Yes, it’s stressful dealing with the diagnosis but if the consultant feels surgery is the best option, go for it. You need to find out what it is that is stress your wife: the fear of surgery, how it will impact on your lives.

For me, and my wife, the surgery has been surprisingly easy to deal with. The after-effects are something we are getting used to. The ED is not a great side effect to have to experience but there are other members who will tell you that this can be overcome.

There are organisations that will assist both of you, so make use of them.

You’ll be fine - look at the positives for the future.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 10:35

Mustard , I found the adverse effects of salvage RT far worse than the adverse effects of surgery.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 14:47

It's a problem with the lack of bladder control 

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 17:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You might be different from me but I am 6 weeks out of RARP and I'm only getting a small dribble occasionally if I stand up or cough - all other times I have good control and my nighttime pads are dry and I am using a #2 during the day - they are like period pads and absorb any pee into a gel so are dry. I suspect I will be able to use just a #1 when I run out of the current supply.

For me and my wife, It hasn't been anything worse than dealing with her periods although they finished years ago.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 17:19

Mustard

While we all recover at different rates, I’m 99% continent six months following RARP. If it makes your wife feel any better, it was my biggest fear.

I found going pelvic floor exercises helped once the catheter was removed. There is a Squeezy app which I found useful.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 17:27

I'm sure you didn't want cancer, but that is the situation you are in.

Every way out of that situation has side effects that you don't want. The worst option for you (though probably not for a 90 year old) is do nothing and side effect death.

You've been on this site a month and done as much research as can be expected from a patient. Your medical professionals have given advice, based on the 'average' man, in reality we are all very close to average so it is probably right for you.

If your wife has already done the same level of research as you, and thinks another option is better, then start talking. If her only research is reading the 'patient consent' forms for surgery, and seeing they are onerous, then she needs to do a lot more research, for example mood swings on HT. she will then either agree surgery is best, or come up with a better option.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 17:39

I was 99 percent dry after catheter removal post surgery. Salvage RT has left me with a permanent suprapubic catheter. If I had a time machine I would pick still pick surgery.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Jun 2023 at 17:47
What is it specifically that she feels she can't deal with? You might find it useful to attend a joint counselling session. Macmillan do excellent counselling.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2023 at 12:00

Hello ,My wife was terrified of me having surgery but it was the best option and we were very grateful to be offered the option with the chance of cure .Read my profile as it explains my long journey fully but has had a great outcome so far .By removing the diseased prostate you are removing the mother ship so to speak and that immediately reduces the cancer load easier to treat if it comes back or has spread further .My PSA never dropped after the RP it had spread to some lymph nodes ,so I had salvage RT therapy and am on Enzalutimide and hormone treatment and have been for the past three years .I am in remission with clear scans and although hormone therapy is tough on the body and mind ,I cope .Any operation is worrying and my dear wife is a lady who gets very  anxious indeed but we have come through it and I will remain on the hormone  treatment for as long as I am able to as this gives the best chance of a complete cure eventually i will come off it and hopefully my PSA will.remain undetectable still and a cure will have been effected .There is a trial at the moment where men  with  locally advanced and more advanced prostate cancer are having their prostate removed where before they would not have been given the option as the cancer had spread and they would have been offered hormone treatment only .The idea being that once removed it can no longer send out chemical signals to floating cancer cells to grow. In my case I've done very well .Talk to your wife, read up on the subject find out all the information you can but removal of the prostate  enabled the other treatment to work well for me and I am grateful I was given the opportunity to have my prostate removed .

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 13:48

What are the pads called with the gel ?

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 16:38

What are the pads called with the gel ?

Pretty certain that the TENA MEN pads have gel inside. Have been using them for 4 months and have never had a leak into my underpants or trousers. They always feel dry to the touch at the end of the day and they don't smell.