Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Airport Radiation Detectors?

User
Posted 04 Jul 2023 at 21:39

Hi!

After my Brachytherapy procedure I was given a (particularly unimpressive looking!) radiation card and told to carry it with me at all times. One of the reasons apparently, was to be able to show it if I triggered any airport radiation detectors.

Didn't really think too much of it but just booked a last minute trip flying out of Manchester on Friday - 7 weeks after my procedure.

Has anybody ever actually triggered an alarm in airport security after having Brachy?

Is it a real thing? If so, do you get carted off and held whilst they check you're not a national security risk or something?!?

Basically wondering whether I should leave a shed load of extra time to go through security (which will be a pain as it's a v v early start as it is!)

Cheers! Paul

User
Posted 05 Jul 2023 at 03:15

A friend of mine imported some WWII aeroplane wreckage, on a flat bed, from Europe through Dover. He was pulled over; the luminous paint in the dials set off the detectors. 

So detectors do exist, they will probably be sensitive enough to detect recent beachy seeds. What will waste your time is if the security guard decides to play 20 questions, "did you pack your bags?", "Have you been to Cornwall?"...

So as soon as you get stopped, just say "did I set off the radiation detectors?" If yes, show them the card and I suspect you will be on your way.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 21:20

Hurrah! No alarms triggered at either end so no need to wave my dodgy looking radioactive ☢️ card after all 👍

I have no idea what the different scanners at the airport do but I did end up being funnelled into one of the traditional old school metal detectors and don't know if the alarms would have rung out if I'd been put into one of those new fangled jobs where they make you stand with your hands in the air like you're under arrest!

Maybe I'll find out on the way back!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jul 2023 at 03:15

A friend of mine imported some WWII aeroplane wreckage, on a flat bed, from Europe through Dover. He was pulled over; the luminous paint in the dials set off the detectors. 

So detectors do exist, they will probably be sensitive enough to detect recent beachy seeds. What will waste your time is if the security guard decides to play 20 questions, "did you pack your bags?", "Have you been to Cornwall?"...

So as soon as you get stopped, just say "did I set off the radiation detectors?" If yes, show them the card and I suspect you will be on your way.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jul 2023 at 09:06

Thanks Dave and wow, can't imagine the old paint gives off much radiation (compared to 76 seeds!)....they must be pretty sensitive!

Will change the alarm clock to get up at 2.30am instead of 3....sigh!

Cheers, Paul

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 12:01
When I first got my seeds I was told I might also set off alarms in shops. I went into a shop and explained to the shop assistant what I was trying to do. We were both disappointed when no alarm went off☹️

I had a friend who had some heart procedure and there was going to be some sort of residual radioactivity in his body. He got the consultant to write a letter to explain things a bit better ( you are correct the card you get is a bit pathetic ). So my friend flew over to the USA while the letter remained on the bed of his Gatwick hotel. He set off alarms and was taken to a room down a corridor. The American agent was not a happy bunny and my friend was questioned for twenty minutes. He was eventually let in to the States but he said it was touch and go!

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 12:09

The radiation from seed barachytherapy is very easily picked up by a Geiger counter. I take one along to support groups sometimes for entertainment/educational value.

After around 6 months, it's difficult to pick up anything more than background radiation.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 17:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
When I first got my seeds I was told I might also set off alarms in shops. I went into a shop and explained to the shop assistant what I was trying to do. We were both disappointed when no alarm went off☹️

😂

I lived in the US for 6 years and even without being pulled aside as a potential national security risk, passing through immigration was pretty unpleasant anyway!👮

Hopefully they're a bit friendlier in Tenerife!

The radiation from seed barachytherapy is very easily picked up by a Geiger counter. I take one along to support groups sometimes for entertainment/educational value.

Yeah, they brought a geiger counter to sweep the room before discharging me from the hospital to make sure I hadn't left a seed behind - pretty amusing when they passed it over me - my wife's expression basically said 'you're going in the spare room!' 🤣

12 hours and I'll start to know more about how sensitive airport detectors are 😬

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 21:20

Hurrah! No alarms triggered at either end so no need to wave my dodgy looking radioactive ☢️ card after all 👍

I have no idea what the different scanners at the airport do but I did end up being funnelled into one of the traditional old school metal detectors and don't know if the alarms would have rung out if I'd been put into one of those new fangled jobs where they make you stand with your hands in the air like you're under arrest!

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 21:52

Great, enjoy the holiday.

Dave

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 22:02

Nothing on the way back either - now I might need to look at the CT scan again and make sure they really did put the seeds in! 🤣