I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad's cancer spread to bone...

User
Posted 05 Jul 2023 at 04:43

I'm new here but not to prostate cancer. My dad (age 72) has been diagnosed with it since 2015. He was initially diagnosed with a PSA of 22, and I think it had already spread outside of the prostate. He ended up having surgery to remove his prostate and several lymph nodes, but it was basically a complete failure as his PSA immediately continued to rise. We later found out his cancer was a Gleason 9 and seemed to double about every 6 weeks.

He was then placed on hormone treatments (I think it was Lupron and Zytiga?) and did amazingly well. It really only started to fail within the last year or so, but he's now back to a doubling time of about 6 weeks.

He did try taking Olaparib (not sure if that's correct), but it made him extremely nauseous and he quit taking it. He may have taken another hormone blocker as well, but I can't remember for sure. I know he is considered castrate resistant now.

Most recently, he did 5 rounds of docetaxel which initially brought his PSA back down from 40 something to about a 2, but his PSA is once again rising (I think we are currently at a 7). The most recent PET scan showed that several of the cancerous lymph nodes had decreased in size, but there were also new locations, one of which was to bone (his left sacrum).

We're obviously worried now that we seemed to have burned through many of the main treatment options and his PSA seems to be rapidly rising. The metastasis to the bone is also really scary since he's never had that before. The doctor is now recommending Xtandi which doesn't seem particularly promising to me.

Anyways, I'm sharing all that to try and get some sort of idea as to our remaining options and to maybe get some sort of ballpark idea as what to expect from here. I think we all know how it will end at this point, but we haven't asked the doctor for any sort of life expectancy. Is it even possible to have a good idea at this stage? I'm worried it will be possibly 1-2 years at the most, but I really just don't know.

I'm just doing my best to gather information for his treatment and to also try and realistically prepare myself and our family for what's to come.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thank you! 

Edited by member 05 Jul 2023 at 19:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jul 2023 at 14:09

Not sure why you are unsure about the xtandi; for most men, it is an amazing drug and absolutely the right next step!

It is too early really to know whether the docetaxel was effective but if he tolerated it well, he could have that again. Depending on how he responds to the xtandi, I think 1 - 2 years is probably a fair guess

Edited by member 05 Jul 2023 at 14:16  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Jul 2023 at 19:03

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, my Dad just heard that even with insurance coverage, the Xtandi is $2300 a month (in the US). He was also denied two other options his doctor wanted him to try so I'm honestly not sure what's next. So incredibly frustrating. I just want him to have the best chances to enjoy the time he has left, but it feels like our hands are tied.