I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy and hormone treatment or Surgery

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 17:01

I'm 69 and I was diagnosed three weeks ago with prostate cancer and I've been given the option of radiotherapy with hormone treatment or surgery.

I'm looking for any advise as my head is full up with all these bits of information but don't know which option to take 

many thanks for any help.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 15:57
All I can add is that I was given the choice as well after my 3+4=7 diagnosis based on MRI/biopsy.

After the RARP, it was upgraded to 4+5=9 T3a NO so for me I am glad that is route that I went as it still leaves me HT/RT as an option should it reappear down the road - fortunately PSA is <0.01 currently.

But we are all different and I am able to handle the ED/Incontinence perfectly OK mentally and physically - but others may feel differently.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 17:43

I'd suggest downloading the information sheets about the various treatments which you'll find elsewhere on the site - they're very informative.

Both treatments have good success rates; it's really a matter of personal preference as to which set of side-effects you find less objectionable. Personally I went down the HT/RT route and found it all pretty tolerable.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 18:00

Hi Gordon,

Thats the million dollar question for all those that DO have a choice. I would have liked to go down The surgery route but was not given that option due to my staging so it’s good that you have that choice but it’s not an easy one to make. There was a recent discussion on this….

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29480-Opinions-lads-please

Also, if you have a local Maggies Group or Prostate Cancer Support Group, go along and speak to others who have been through these treatments….that may give you a better idea of which way is the best for you.

it gets easier once you’ve made your decision and good luck with whatever choice you make.

Derek

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 17:59

Hi Gordon.......

I am 5 years post RP. My Gleson's were mostly 3+4 7, with a couple of 6's. I chose the robotic removal because I just wanted the cancer out of me (hopefully). As mentioned above, the ED and incontinence are tolerable, and overall, the whole procedure was not that bad. That being said, it is, of course, a personal decision. I'm so glad you have reached out to others, I wish I had been more proactive in seeking advice when I was first diagnosed.

Best to you in navigating this journey. Thinking of you during this time.

Dan

Edited by member 09 Jul 2023 at 17:59  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 05 Sep 2023 at 14:01

Hi Gordon,

It is difficult to make a choice as i found but if you look at all the options and possible side affects and maybe look at members experiences on here it may help.

I had the choice of Robotic surgery or Brachytherapy with a PSA 2.19 and Gleason 3+4=7 and took the Brachytherapy route as i felt that the side affects may be more tolerable and the procedure is less invasive.

If you click on my avatar it will show my journey up to 7 years this month and my psa has dropped to 0.04 last year and 0.10 this year but still very low.Good luck with your choice.

Regards John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 17:43

I'd suggest downloading the information sheets about the various treatments which you'll find elsewhere on the site - they're very informative.

Both treatments have good success rates; it's really a matter of personal preference as to which set of side-effects you find less objectionable. Personally I went down the HT/RT route and found it all pretty tolerable.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Jul 2023 at 18:00

Hi Gordon,

Thats the million dollar question for all those that DO have a choice. I would have liked to go down The surgery route but was not given that option due to my staging so it’s good that you have that choice but it’s not an easy one to make. There was a recent discussion on this….

Also, if you have a local Maggies Group or Prostate Cancer Support Group, go along and speak to others who have been through these treatments….that may give you a better idea of which way is the best for you.

it gets easier once you’ve made your decision and good luck with whatever choice you make.

Derek

User
Posted 08 Jul 2023 at 15:57
All I can add is that I was given the choice as well after my 3+4=7 diagnosis based on MRI/biopsy.

After the RARP, it was upgraded to 4+5=9 T3a NO so for me I am glad that is route that I went as it still leaves me HT/RT as an option should it reappear down the road - fortunately PSA is <0.01 currently.

But we are all different and I am able to handle the ED/Incontinence perfectly OK mentally and physically - but others may feel differently.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 17:59

Hi Gordon.......

I am 5 years post RP. My Gleson's were mostly 3+4 7, with a couple of 6's. I chose the robotic removal because I just wanted the cancer out of me (hopefully). As mentioned above, the ED and incontinence are tolerable, and overall, the whole procedure was not that bad. That being said, it is, of course, a personal decision. I'm so glad you have reached out to others, I wish I had been more proactive in seeking advice when I was first diagnosed.

Best to you in navigating this journey. Thinking of you during this time.

Dan

Edited by member 09 Jul 2023 at 17:59  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 18:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Gordon,

Derek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie%27s_Centres

Maggies Centre's across the UK, supporting issues of cancer, not just prostate cancer.

The London centre is an orange building left of the front of Charing Cross Hospital.  Every Monday at 11am there is a one-hour presentation with audience discussion on Radiotherapy.  You do noot need an invitation or referral.

(Tel: 0207-397-1750 or email: London@maggies.org)

User
Posted 05 Sep 2023 at 14:01

Hi Gordon,

It is difficult to make a choice as i found but if you look at all the options and possible side affects and maybe look at members experiences on here it may help.

I had the choice of Robotic surgery or Brachytherapy with a PSA 2.19 and Gleason 3+4=7 and took the Brachytherapy route as i felt that the side affects may be more tolerable and the procedure is less invasive.

If you click on my avatar it will show my journey up to 7 years this month and my psa has dropped to 0.04 last year and 0.10 this year but still very low.Good luck with your choice.

Regards John.