Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Use of spaceOAR for shielding

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 14:46

Hi

I was diagnosed with PC in March 2023. Gleeson score 7 (3+4) 9mm lesion LHS lobe.

After a recent appointment with my Onco and being offered 20 days RT in conjunction with HT (18months or less) I asked if the hospital offered the spacerOAR, as my brother who lives in America had and  coupled with the fact I had previously been treated for IBS. 

Reading earlier feeds I see it had been used by some NHS hospitals however I wondered if anybody has recently been offered spacers with their treatment or did they have to get it privately but then have the RT with the NHS.

I believe I would have to make sure the NHS hospital would need the correct MRI/CT scanners to confirm the position of the spacer to ensure it didn't interfere with the RT treatment. I have also read that depending on the position of your PC i.e front or rear it can impact on the suitability/effectiveness of the spacer being used.

Any advice about if this procedure is still offered by the NHS or the practicality of linking possible self-funded private spacer insertion and RT treatment else where would be much appreciated.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 15:40

It's not funded by NHS England.

Some hospitals buy a small number for patients where it might make a significant difference, such as those on powerful blood thinners as a result of stroke or heart conditions, and bowel diseases. So it's certainly worth you asking if you have IBS.

Privately, it seems to be around £7000, and it needs to be reasonably well synchronised with your treatment - that may be simpler if it's the same hospital.

I'm not aware any special scanner is required - I think a rectal ultrasound probe is used during the procedure. Positioning is mainly down to the skill of the operative. Your RT planning is done after the spacer is inserted, to take it into account.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 23:15
Maybe it's different with RT but I asked whether it would be helpful with HIFU, i was told that it had been tried but rejected as the HIFU burnt right through it.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 23:19
St James's in Leeds did do SpaceOar on the NHS under the innovation fund project but the results weren't great so they withdrew it. St James's is a uro-oncology centre of excellence
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 15:40

It's not funded by NHS England.

Some hospitals buy a small number for patients where it might make a significant difference, such as those on powerful blood thinners as a result of stroke or heart conditions, and bowel diseases. So it's certainly worth you asking if you have IBS.

Privately, it seems to be around £7000, and it needs to be reasonably well synchronised with your treatment - that may be simpler if it's the same hospital.

I'm not aware any special scanner is required - I think a rectal ultrasound probe is used during the procedure. Positioning is mainly down to the skill of the operative. Your RT planning is done after the spacer is inserted, to take it into account.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 20:46

Thank you for your comprehensive speedy reply. It was very helpful.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 23:15
Maybe it's different with RT but I asked whether it would be helpful with HIFU, i was told that it had been tried but rejected as the HIFU burnt right through it.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 23:19
St James's in Leeds did do SpaceOar on the NHS under the innovation fund project but the results weren't great so they withdrew it. St James's is a uro-oncology centre of excellence
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard