Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

urinary issues

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 21:04

Hi All,

I'm at a bit of a loss and wondering what to do next.

I finished my EBRT and HDR Brachytherapy at the beginning of January this year and have had very few side effects other than the usual Prostap ones. In May while I was on holiday, very suddenly it was stinging when I passed urine and I'd also been having some aches and pains in my lower back.

I have now been on 4 different types of Antibiotics since then, which seem to work for a few days and then the stinging comes back. I'm finding it uncomfortable to wee and I'm going more to the toilet than usual. I also have aches in my Perineum. The Doctor has suggested it's either a UTI or Prostatitis. My Urine has come back negative so far for any UTI's which has been tested 3 times.

Luckily I have my 1st PSA review in a couple of weeks and I had the Blood test at the weekend for this Telephone Consultation. I'm thinking this will be elevated.

What should I do next? I'm thinking of asking my Doctor to refer me back to Urology or when I have the meeting on the 2nd August let Urology know what's been happening.

I'm finding it concerning that it might be my Cancer that's not been cured. Will I be more susceptible to Prostatitis after having PC?

What are your thoughts - any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon. 

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 23:31
These symptoms are not associated with cancer being left behind after treatment. It sounds like you have a deep-seated UTI (which can be notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat) - when you say you have been tested for UTI 3 times, were they all with a dipstick test at the GP practice? Has a sample been sent to the hospital for detailed testing? Do you always finish the full set of antibiotic even if it doesn't seem to be working?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 05:17
I'm with Lyn make sure a fresh sample is sent to be cultured.

Also ask about radiation side effects? Could this be late onset radiation effects that need treatment?

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 06:53

Thanks for your replies.

I do think the Samples have been sent to the Hospital for testing and have been negative. Yes, I always finish the Antibiotics as I know it can cause issues if you don't.

I'm currently under Western Park in Sheffield so I will ask their thoughts on late-onset radiation effects but it was really strange that the stinging came on abruptly and it seems to be a fairly constant symptom. I forgot to say I sweat sometimes for no reason but I'm not sure if it's the Prostap.

I've seen 3 different doctors and one has said it's Prostatitis as she gave me a digital exam and my Prostate was tender. the other 2 seem to think it's a UTI. 

I'm going to keep going back to my Doctor, but it's going on a bit (8-9 weeks).

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 07:49

John, I had severe radiation cystitis following salvage RT, Along with some of the symptoms you describe, I was also passing lots of blood clots, tissue and debris. Hopefully you just have a stubborn UTI as suggested.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 18:29

Hi Chris,

I hope you are much better now. My Wife also said she wondered if it was some kind of issue that the radiation had caused. I had some Nurofen just after lunch and it feels normal at the moment. As said I'm going to speak with Western Park as your Doctor can only help so much.

Cheers

Jon.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 19:16

John, firstly, my level of damage is quite rare. My doctors didn't recognize the symptoms I had. Oncology blaming urology and vice versa. I eventually got some advice from a pelvic disease charity and went out of area to see a top professor of urology.

It could be a mild form of radiation cystitis, if you ever start passing lots of clots and debris make sure you get help from someone who understands radiation damage.

Thanks Chris