I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Continuing to work whilst having HT and RT

User
Posted 18 Jul 2023 at 19:05

I had a RALP in September last year which didn’t work.  Assuming a PSMA PET scan shows my cancer is in the prostate bed and hasn’t spread beyond the lymph nodes, I’ll be starting bicalutimide and decapeptyl in September for 3 months, followed by 6.5 weeks of RT. Then another 2-3 years HT.

Has anyone experience of continuing to work through this period?

I’m 51, fairly fit with a family to support. I’m a partner in a small business of 10 or so workers, with two very kind and supportive senior colleagues.

Comments gratefully received, as always.

Thanks,

Edited by member 19 Jul 2023 at 11:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 06:25

I worked all the way through my 37 sessions off radiotherapy had early appointment at 8.00 am then straight to my job on the building site was a bit tired towards the end but managed ok 👍 gaz

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 08:51
John didn’t have any bladder or bowel changes apart from some mucous-y stools towards the end of the RT and for a couple of weeks after.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jul 2023 at 23:38

I was 53 at diagnosis, and a director in a small firm of 9 people, with two other supportive directors.

Scheduling the RT appointments may be a problem, particularly if you have to travel far for them. Can you work from home?

I had two years of HT. I was able to carry on with my IT related job fine, if you have a more physical job it may be harder. About 1% of people on this site have had to stop HT because they were badly effected by side effects, so it would be unlikely you will have a problem.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 00:12
John was 52 when he had salvage RT. He was lucky to get almost all his RT appointments at 8.30am so he just went to the hospital on his way to work each morning - worked full time throughout plus continued to play rugby and managed to get to the gym most evenings as well. Towards the end of the RT, he occasionally needed a power nap at his desk in the afternoon.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 06:20

Thanks Dave, that’s reassuring. Wfh is mostly fine although not ideal, but we coped in lockdown.

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 06:25

I worked all the way through my 37 sessions off radiotherapy had early appointment at 8.00 am then straight to my job on the building site was a bit tired towards the end but managed ok 👍 gaz

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 06:28

Thanks Lyn. Keeping active sounds like a must. I wonder how much changes to bladder and bowel habits were an issue for people?

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 06:32

Thanks Gaz, doesn’t sound too bad at all. 

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 08:51
John didn’t have any bladder or bowel changes apart from some mucous-y stools towards the end of the RT and for a couple of weeks after.