I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Increasing pain

User
Posted 19 Jul 2023 at 20:55

l am really not sure what we should be doing at this stage in my husbands journey. He is having the ninth chemo session out of 10 this week. With each week he is experiencing increasing pain in many of his bones. The oncologist has suggested he has 5 sessions of radiotherapy on his spine to hopefully help the pain. He is on a high dose of slow release morphine but is having to take more oral morphine as weeks progress. What stage should the nurses from the palliative care team come to the house to discuss pain relief. I hate to see him in pain. Any advice welcome please.

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 00:45

Has he been referred to palliative care? They don't usually get involved while active treatment is still being offered. In some areas, it is the local hospice that deals with the practicalities - they tend to be better than hospitals or GPs at getting the pain relief sorted out properly. Have you been referred to your local hospice?

The difficulty is giving enough pain relief to make the patient comfortable without them being asleep 24 hours a day - it is a fine balance and not always possible, particularly when someone has bone mets. Palliative RT can really help and is certainly worth trying. 

The hospice team (or Macmillan nurses or palliative care team - whichever is available in your area) should also help with other practicalities. There are difficult conversations to be had about end of life care and maybe some financial help; there may be equipment that you will need to keep him comfortable and as mobile as possible at home.   

Edited by member 20 Jul 2023 at 00:48  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 13:46

Thanks Lyn - I decided to phone the Home Nursing Team (Hospice care at home) and they were SO helpful. Someone is coming out to see him on Saturday (they would have come tomorrow if it hadn't been his chemo). Its a hard path that we are following.