Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bleeding Again!

User
Posted 24 Jul 2023 at 12:43

Hi all,

I’m 2 days off being 4 weeks post robotic surgery. I had quite a few post op complications, including internal bleeding needing a transfusion. 

I passed blood and tiny “bits” in my urine every day since coming home then about 5 or so days ago the toilet bowl was a deep dark claret after urination. Since that there has been nothing visible in the bowl, so I thought that last episode was the bleeding swan song…until today. 

I started to pass blood again this morning, just slight rose coloured urine, nothing major …then just now a 1cm blood clot came out whilst passing urine. I definitely felt it exit and it was a bit of a shock as it’s by far the biggest thing I’ve passed since surgery. 

Is this normal after nearly 4 weeks since surgery?

Do I need to call the hospital or is it just a case of drinking plenty of water and keeping an eye on it?

Where does all the blood and clots come from? I thought the only thing that will have bled into the bladder is the “cut and shunt” from the urethra…can it really produce so much blood and debris?

Any info you can share would be very gratefully received. 

Thank you

Greg. 

User
Posted 24 Jul 2023 at 15:16

Hi, I had the same thing around four weeks post op. A fair amount of debris that eased up over time. 

I'd contact your hospital if you get any blockages though. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 08:13

It's probably around the time the self dissolving stitches let go and release any scabs. Maybe that caused it. However, check with hospital and do point out you think it was fresh bleeding. Keeping a good flow of fluids going through is definitely a good idea to prevent blockage.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 11:48

Hi Greg

You seem to be doing everything right and it is not unusual to have post op bleeding but might be worth checking if you have got a UTI with a blood test

7 days antibiotics should clear it

All the best

Roly

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 12:11

Thanks Roly

I don’t have any symptoms of a UTI at the moment and there has not been any blood at all, so far today. So I’m hoping that large clot was the last of it … although I’ve said that before! 🥴

Thank you

Greg 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jul 2023 at 13:14

There is the Vas Deferens and seminal vesicle so I guess removal of these can bleed into the bladder too?

User
Posted 24 Jul 2023 at 15:16

Hi, I had the same thing around four weeks post op. A fair amount of debris that eased up over time. 

I'd contact your hospital if you get any blockages though. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2023 at 15:40

Thanks Kev

cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 08:13

It's probably around the time the self dissolving stitches let go and release any scabs. Maybe that caused it. However, check with hospital and do point out you think it was fresh bleeding. Keeping a good flow of fluids going through is definitely a good idea to prevent blockage.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 08:39

Thanks Andy

I’m drinking about 6 pints of water a day and a couple of cups of decaf tea so I’m hoping that’s enough fluids. 

I’ll mention it to the CNS at the hospital. 

Cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 11:48

Hi Greg

You seem to be doing everything right and it is not unusual to have post op bleeding but might be worth checking if you have got a UTI with a blood test

7 days antibiotics should clear it

All the best

Roly

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 12:11

Thanks Roly

I don’t have any symptoms of a UTI at the moment and there has not been any blood at all, so far today. So I’m hoping that large clot was the last of it … although I’ve said that before! 🥴

Thank you

Greg