Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Weight loss after surgery?

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 08:45

Hi all

I seem to have lost around 3kg in weight since my surgery 4 weeks ago. 

I haven’t altered my diet and I’m eating the same amount as I did before surgery. 

I obviously haven’t been drinking alcohol in this time, whereas normally I would probably have a couple of beers 3 times a week, so I guess that will be playing a part in the loss. 

Anyone else lose weight without trying after surgery?

Cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 10:42
I believe that it is estimated that your body uses > 4,500 calories a day to repair itself after abdominal surgery so taking into account the other problems that you have had, it doesn't seem surprising that you have lost some weight. It also depends on what you started with - if you were overweight then it would be more noticeable than someone with a slimmer build.

I wouldn't suggest it as the best way to lose weight however LOL

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 15:00

I was told by my surgeon to lose 6kg about a month before my surgery at Easter. I needed to! After my surgery I lost another 5kg ish in the couple of weeks post surgery and since then have continued to lose weight so I am now some 15kg less than in early March. I’m now 83kg and 5ft 9 mixing measurement types. As I said I needed to. Reason for losing weight the misery 3B diet (I must trade mark it!) - no booze no bread no biscuits. I’ve also been picking up on walking gradually since the op and can now do 20,000 steps a day. It also cost me a lot as I need new clothes! Drastic way to lose weight and probably so far the main benefit of surgery (other than saving my life!) as I am still dealing with the other side effects albeit improving. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 17:28

I've just converted my 11st 6lbs to kilos Greg, 72.5kg apparently and I'm only 5ft 5, so I think you really should eat a pie or two! 

I've lost approx 6-7 lbs in the just under 5 weeks since surgery, also without any alcohol. I'm saving my first beer until after my 6 week histology appointment, a week tomorrow 😀

All the best,

Mark

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 18:13

Cheers Mark 😊

I must have received your message telepathically as I cooked some mini sausage rolls today … and ate a shed load of them. 😂

I hope you enjoy that first beer … you just know it’s going to taste like the best beer you’ve ever had. Good luck with the appointment too 👍

cheers 

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 20:03

I’m pleased - it’s done over the day mostly an hour or so in the morning and then again in the evening. The most I’ve tried in 1 stretch is 5 1/2 miles which I managed without too much difficulty. For those who know it Moel Fameau in North Wales is my next goal. I have taken my time to get to this level and I struggled initially after 6 weeks to get to 8,000 steps. Patience is key and knowing when to rein it back if too much is done. Still struggling with continence but can manage now with 2 or sometimes 1 pad every 24 hours so that’s improving as well. 

Good luck with the cycling target - little and often worked for me

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 10:42
I believe that it is estimated that your body uses > 4,500 calories a day to repair itself after abdominal surgery so taking into account the other problems that you have had, it doesn't seem surprising that you have lost some weight. It also depends on what you started with - if you were overweight then it would be more noticeable than someone with a slimmer build.

I wouldn't suggest it as the best way to lose weight however LOL

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 10:49

Haha cheers Steve

I have a friend who had throat cancer and when I saw him he was like a skeleton compared to what he used to be, still had his sense of humour though as he explained cancer was the best weight loss program he’d ever tried 😳🥴😁

I’m 5’ 9” and I was 71.5kg, today I’m 68.2kg. 
I actually started to notice when my watch felt loose on my wrist (of all things). 

I think with the relative inactivity after my issues seems to have resulted in some muscle loss too, could be in my mind but my legs are definitely thinner than they were. 

I’m upping my calorie intake a little, I eat way too sensibly and healthily these days, compared with my youth, so I may add a few treats here and there … like a pie or s sausage roll or two! 😂

cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 15:00

I was told by my surgeon to lose 6kg about a month before my surgery at Easter. I needed to! After my surgery I lost another 5kg ish in the couple of weeks post surgery and since then have continued to lose weight so I am now some 15kg less than in early March. I’m now 83kg and 5ft 9 mixing measurement types. As I said I needed to. Reason for losing weight the misery 3B diet (I must trade mark it!) - no booze no bread no biscuits. I’ve also been picking up on walking gradually since the op and can now do 20,000 steps a day. It also cost me a lot as I need new clothes! Drastic way to lose weight and probably so far the main benefit of surgery (other than saving my life!) as I am still dealing with the other side effects albeit improving. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 15:33

That’s really interesting MGOR, thank you for posting that. 

I can only dream of doing that kind of distance daily, I can barely manage 1/4 mile before I get lightheaded and out of breath. 
My bloods haven’t recovered from the anemia yet and my heart still goes up to the 110’s when walking. Bit scary really. 

Well done managing to do as much as you are. The weight will be falling off you at that rate. 

I am convinced that the no booze definitely drops weight quickly. I used to drink quite a bit in my younger years and through the start of covid was a bit of a heavy do too! I was 80kg in 2020 but cutting right back on the booze saw me drop to around 72/71kg … having stopped completely for a month I’m 68.2, plus I feel like I’ve been through the mill with my surgery and complications.

I’m actually hoping I can put a bit back on once I’ve recovered more. 

Yeah, sorry for the mixed measurements … I work in imperial but my digital scales only measure in kgs unfortunately. Baaahh 🥴😂

cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 17:28

I've just converted my 11st 6lbs to kilos Greg, 72.5kg apparently and I'm only 5ft 5, so I think you really should eat a pie or two! 

I've lost approx 6-7 lbs in the just under 5 weeks since surgery, also without any alcohol. I'm saving my first beer until after my 6 week histology appointment, a week tomorrow 😀

All the best,

Mark

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 18:11

It’s taken me nearly 3 months to get to that level of steps. 1st couple of months I struggled 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 18:13

Cheers Mark 😊

I must have received your message telepathically as I cooked some mini sausage rolls today … and ate a shed load of them. 😂

I hope you enjoy that first beer … you just know it’s going to taste like the best beer you’ve ever had. Good luck with the appointment too 👍

cheers 

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 18:17

It’s an amazing achievement MGOR, it must work out to about 8 or 9 miles a day won’t it? 

Quite remarkable 👍

I’m hoping I can get back to cycling in the future, seems a long way off but something to aim for I guess. 
cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 20:03

I’m pleased - it’s done over the day mostly an hour or so in the morning and then again in the evening. The most I’ve tried in 1 stretch is 5 1/2 miles which I managed without too much difficulty. For those who know it Moel Fameau in North Wales is my next goal. I have taken my time to get to this level and I struggled initially after 6 weeks to get to 8,000 steps. Patience is key and knowing when to rein it back if too much is done. Still struggling with continence but can manage now with 2 or sometimes 1 pad every 24 hours so that’s improving as well. 

Good luck with the cycling target - little and often worked for me

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 21:55

Thanks for the inspiration MGOR 😊👍

Good luck with your next goal. 

I used to walk a bit in Wales. My favourite was Tryfan though I never found the bottle to do the leap of faith between Sion a Sian/Adam and Eve. Too much of a coward 😁

Take care

Greg. 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 23:12

Nothing to beat a ‘Greg’s’ Sausage Roll!

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 08:45

Haha … totally agree Derek. 

Nom nom nom nom nom 😋 

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 12:12

Long time since I’ve been up Tryfan - I’m more low level easier walks now even before op!

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 12:14

Have to disagree - pork pies from various butchers in Skipton take some beating! Good for the mind but not so sure for the arteries though…..

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 12:36

Basically …. Anything covered in pastry will meet requirements! 😂🤣