I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemotherapy, xofigo, provenge

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 15:34

My dad (age 58) is due to start chemotherapy next week. Cancer has spread to spine, hip, shoulder, sternum, ribs. 

Does anyone have any experience with chemo? How much can it help when it has spread to such a large extent? What are the side effects?

I have also been looking into provenge and xofigo for later down the line if hormone treatment stops working. Does anyone here have any experience with these treatments?

I am getting married next month and hoping he will be able to enjoy the wedding.

Thank you!

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 20:59
Chemo doesn't kill prostate cancer but it can slow it down and make future hormone treatments more effective.

Generally, the worst time for side effects is days 5-8 and then things settle down until the next infusion. For some men, the side effects get worse with each session. It is important that your dad avoids infection - by him a thermometer and if he gets a temperature seek medical advice.

How much it will affect your wedding depends mostly on how soon after his second infusion the wedding is. I would ask guests not to come if they think they may have any kind of infection

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 21:14
In response to your other queries, xofigo (Radium223) is now widely available on the NHS for men with bone mets who are castrate-resisrant and experiencing bone pain. It only treats the bone mets and for some men, increases the bone pain rather than reducing it.

Provenge is available if you can afford it - there is a handful of hospitals offering it on the NHS but it is a bit of a last-ditch option as it doesn't always work

Not sure what your dad has already had and whether or not he is castrate-resistant? If not, there are many options before you need to think about R223 or immunotherapy

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jul 2023 at 18:53

On CHEMO round three and have xofigo.    The PSA has dropped since the CHEMO and so far bar a small hiccup on the first sessions all has been ok.   First week after chemo and you are tired but after the first week I found it gets better.   No side effects at first but now starting to loose the hair after session three.... thats ok, just means I don't have to shave as often and I can go for the Kojak look (yes I am showing my age as some will not know who Kojak is...... ).   I am also having some bone treatment which is kind of cool.

Chemo will effect different people in different ways but the KEY to coping and getting through it all is...... attitude...... chin up, head held high and strut like a peacock - in my case one with a limp - and enjoy what we have.   Not point in worrying as it is a waste of time so enjoy, sing, laugh and have fun.........

Feel free to reach out if I can help... :-)

User
Posted 27 Jul 2023 at 23:49
I think you have confused xofigo and xtandi, Nobby - you have xtandi!