I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Farts!

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 07:56

Since finishing my RT and the beginning of May my farts are loud enough to wake the dead!. In fact if I don’t warn my wife one is coming she gets a real fright😱 More frequent as well I would say but so far all dry and no more noxious than normal thank goodness.
I’m assuming this is normal, just wondering about others experiences?

Derek

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 19:44
I experienced the same. Sad to say it developed into general bowel trouble over the following months. I finished my RT August 2020, by the Spring of 2021 I was having to deal with extreme urgency to empty my bowels now and then. Over the following year I was caught short while out a few times and had some accidents. It's radiation damage to the lower bowel. In response your body produces more mucus in the colon, which in turn makes it harder to hold any solids in. Also will make your farts wetter on occasion. On the positive side it makes you more aware of what you are eating and what impact in might have. Now three years on from my treatment I have the occasional mishap but nowhere near as bad and but generally I'm back to normal. You'll get used to it and adapt as necessary
User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 07:56

Since finishing my RT and the beginning of May my farts are loud enough to wake the dead!. In fact if I don’t warn my wife one is coming she gets a real fright😱 More frequent as well I would say but so far all dry and no more noxious than normal thank goodness.
I’m assuming this is normal, just wondering about others experiences?

Derek

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 20:19

Thanks Bean121, it’s good to be aware of this. It’s coffee that does it for me, it can make me require an urgent visit. I know I shouldn’t have caffeine but I allow myself 1 every day because it gives me a real boost…and you need to have some pleasure in life.

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 19:44
I experienced the same. Sad to say it developed into general bowel trouble over the following months. I finished my RT August 2020, by the Spring of 2021 I was having to deal with extreme urgency to empty my bowels now and then. Over the following year I was caught short while out a few times and had some accidents. It's radiation damage to the lower bowel. In response your body produces more mucus in the colon, which in turn makes it harder to hold any solids in. Also will make your farts wetter on occasion. On the positive side it makes you more aware of what you are eating and what impact in might have. Now three years on from my treatment I have the occasional mishap but nowhere near as bad and but generally I'm back to normal. You'll get used to it and adapt as necessary
User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 20:19

Thanks Bean121, it’s good to be aware of this. It’s coffee that does it for me, it can make me require an urgent visit. I know I shouldn’t have caffeine but I allow myself 1 every day because it gives me a real boost…and you need to have some pleasure in life.

Derek

User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 15:42
Probably accounts for your electric bike speed Derek.
User
Posted 01 Aug 2023 at 17:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Probably accounts for your electric bike speed Derek.

Nice one…. puts an extra 10 miles on my range 🤣🤣🤣

User
Posted 02 Aug 2023 at 11:18

Hi Derek 

Yes, me too! Vast increase in gas volume, loudness and frequency since I finished RT and that was a year ago. I have diverticulosis which may account for some change. 

Baring some accidents at first (I want to go now.Oops!!) OK now and dry and not particularly noxious. OH now used to it but try to avoid embarrassing noises in public

Reminds me of a Billy Conolly remark on one of his shows about getting old "never trust a fart"! You may also recall the old monolog about "The Great Farting Contest at Sh--em on Tees" I think we could have won.

I think we are stuck with it, I just hope the fatigue, aches and pains, and ED will go away. It gets depressing.

Enough gloom, I've got to 80 and apart from this damned disease and its treatment side effects, still here. 

Good luck to us all.

Peternigel

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 09:06

I had surgery but I'm certain I'm more gaseous than pre op. I don't know if it's due to the cancer treatment, or the fact that I'm less active than I used be. Likewise since the op my waist line has expanded, again I'm not sure whether this is anyway linked to surgery or what. I eat less than I did pre op because I seem to have lost my appetite but my belly has extended?

Perhaps it's just an age thing. I can remember when we were kids me and my brother giggling as we walked behind old people farting. We once went to Whitby, there are 199 steps up to the Abbey. There was an old couple climbing them in front of us, and they seemed to fart every time they went up a step.

Edited by member 25 Mar 2024 at 11:15  | Reason: Typo