I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diet for strong bones.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 12:48

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a specific diet that would help to support bones and  muscle during chemotherapy ?

I have read lots and have notice that it doesn't seem good to have to much calcium in your diet, is this right?

Thank you x

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 13:31

I'm not much up on chemotherapy, but I wasn't aware it was detrimental to muscles and bone.

This is more a side effect of hormone therapy (injections, not Bicalutamide by itself).

For bones, you need all of:
• Calcium
• Vitamin D3
• Exercise which stresses bones

There's also a more recent suggestion of:
• Vitamin K2 (but not if you're on some blood thinners)
which apparently helps to route calcium to bones, rather than lining blood vessels which you don't want.

If you have been found to have osteoporosis (though a DEXA scan or unexpected bone fracture), you would probably be offered a Bisphosphonate drug too, which switches off the body's normal bone recycling process.

You should ask your clinicians about these. In some cases, you may have other conditions which prevent you taking Calcium or Vitamin K2.

For muscles, you need resistance exercise (which is different from the exercise for bones, although some things like jogging do both).

Gym sessions which do the right exercises are supposed to be rolled out for prostate cancer patients, and I know these are running in some areas. Ask your CNS or consultant (or even GP).

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 16:24

Hi Andy Thank You for your reply x

yes you are right it is the hormone treatment that affects bones, muscle and hair but I have read

somewhere ?  that with chemotherapy you are not to take calcium,  D3 or zinc? My son is doing the stress exercise's by way of Swimming and Palates and physical work. He has also started going to the gym. I will ask GP or enquire at the  gym.   

PS what part of the treatments is  Bicalutamide? Thank You again. M

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 21:19
It looks as if you are asking on behalf of your son, though it isn't clear what treatment he is due for. Andy is one of the more knowledgeable posters on this site, and I endorse what he says, unless there is a specific problem with the drug your son takes he should maintain his intake of calcium and vitamin D3 and keep up suitable exercises.

Bicalutamide is one of the various hormone therapy drugs - your son may be prescribed a different one - which acts somewhat specifically so has a different side effect profile from the ones which have a blanket effect of shutting down testosterone production.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 14:49
Thank you Yes he is have the blanket treatment but the hormone depressant he is on begins with the letter A, I will find out what it is called and come back to you.

He had a month of one drug which was to stop the testosterone spiking before he had an in plant to knock the testosterone back and a month later started a third drug ( which he is taking now) and is due to start chemotherapy in 3 weeks time. so at the moment he is having a good diet but like I said things I have read seem to say cut back on calcium, zink and D3 when having chemotherapy, which are the main things for bone etc. He has up'd his swimming in the sea so hopefully that and other things he does will cover what he needs? Will speak again soon. thank you xx

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 20:01

It sounds like he's on Zoladex (implant) and Abiraterone? You take Bicalutamide for a month when starting Zoladex to protect against the Testosterone flare, but that's too short a time to have any side effects from the Bicalutamide. You take a low dose steroid with Abiraterone, to compensate for it also stopping your adrenal glands own steroid production.

I can't answer chemo questions - someone else here might but also check with the clinicians doing the chemo.

Edited by member 05 Aug 2023 at 20:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 21:31

regarding bones be careful with exercises until you have had a dexa scan, because if you have severe osteoporosis like me you have to be careful with some exercises.