I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any other treatment left?

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 18:56

Following 6 sessions of docetaxel my husband’s PSMA scan showed the original tumours in the prostrate capsule and lymph nodes had reduced but there were still extensive bone mets. The oncologist therefore considered chemo to be unsuccessful and he was put straight onto Abiraterone. His PSA has doubled for each of the 2 months he’s been on the Abi and the oncologist has said that if it doubles again he will be taken off it. When we asked what options would we have then he said he didn’t know, maybe Cabazitaxel but if the Docetaxel failed then so would that. Is this really true, I know he can’t have Enzalutamide if he’s been on Abi for 3 months but a previous oncologist we saw said there was a number of treatments they could offer. Has anyone swapped Abiraterone for Enzalutamide due to lack of efficacy rather than side effects?

Edited by member 04 Aug 2023 at 14:16  | Reason: Put a question in it!

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 12:14

Hi Ali, sorry can't help, just bumping your post in case anyone else can.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 19:54

It's worth asking about trials. He may need referring to one of the main teaching/research hospitals for them to see if there are any suitable ones open at the moment.

User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 00:28
Hi, sorry to read this. Unfortunately it's true about the cabazitaxel being unlikely to work very well if doxetacle hasn't. Has olaparib been considered? Your husband would need to have the BRCA gene to be eligible. Really worth looking at clinical trials as suggested by others.
User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 10:14

It might be worth asking about Radium 223. It will only treat bone mets so it's usually used when there are only bone mets, but if the other tumours responded to other treatments and it's just the bone mets which need knocking back, then maybe they would consider it - I don't know.

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 20:58
Docetaxel failed for my husband, his cancer progressed regardless. He then had Cabazitaxel for 5 months and it rapidly brought PSA down and stabilised bone mets but now there are signs of progression in lymph nodes. But it worked for 5 months. Good luck.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 12:14

Hi Ali, sorry can't help, just bumping your post in case anyone else can.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 19:54

It's worth asking about trials. He may need referring to one of the main teaching/research hospitals for them to see if there are any suitable ones open at the moment.

User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 00:28
Hi, sorry to read this. Unfortunately it's true about the cabazitaxel being unlikely to work very well if doxetacle hasn't. Has olaparib been considered? Your husband would need to have the BRCA gene to be eligible. Really worth looking at clinical trials as suggested by others.
User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 10:14

It might be worth asking about Radium 223. It will only treat bone mets so it's usually used when there are only bone mets, but if the other tumours responded to other treatments and it's just the bone mets which need knocking back, then maybe they would consider it - I don't know.

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 20:58
Docetaxel failed for my husband, his cancer progressed regardless. He then had Cabazitaxel for 5 months and it rapidly brought PSA down and stabilised bone mets but now there are signs of progression in lymph nodes. But it worked for 5 months. Good luck.