I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Urinary symptoms

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 11:33

Feel that I have chronic urinary retention. Expect it to be suggested that I am catheterized, a road I am not very keen to go down until I get a full diagnosis. Having perineal biopsy shortly. Would it be appropriate for me to suggest a catheter valve if I have to go down this road. Does HT improve urinary symptoms?

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 15:12

Scotia,you could ask for a flip flo valve and bag ,that way you can keep your bladder function normalish and open the valve on demand or sooner if applicable. Not everyone can get on with valve and is inappropriate in certain circumstances. I have too much catheter experience but I am not your doctor 😃.

Retention is classed as a medical emergency if it goes on too long get yourself to A&E

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 15:25

I don't know about any effect of HT on urinary function but I had prostatectomy 12 years ago and all my urinary symptoms (I had many) disappeared when the catheter was removed.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 19:50

Hormone therapy shrinks your prostate. If you have urinary symptoms caused by enlarged prostate, then yes it can help.