I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any experience with Avodart?

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 13:12

My psa has increased from 2.2 to 4.3 in 2 yrs. I have had moderate bph for many years. My urologist has prescribed Avodart for 6 months and repeat psa. I think it’s to shrink prostrate and then an MRI. I’d appreciate any insight and has anyone had experience with Avodart or Finasteride?  Thank you

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 19:17

By the way, I am 75 and thankfully very active.

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 19:46

Finasteride and Dutasteride (Avodart) are medications which shrink the prostate, so it's a treatment for BPH, not prostate cancer. (They've been tried as hormone therapy treatments for prostate cancer, but that doesn't work.) Finasteride is perhaps more commonly used that Dutasteride. They prevent the conversion of Testosterone into the much more powerful androgen Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is what the prostate prefers to use. When starved of the DHT it prefers, it shrinks, taking about 6 months to reach its new reduced size. This can alleviate some symptoms of enlarged prostate.

Hair follicles are also sensitive to DHT, with it causing both body hair growth from puberty, and conversely male pattern balding, so these can be impacted to. It can also impact libido a bit (although you'll still have Testosterone) and that can impact erections a bit too. (Finasteride at a low dose is used as a medication to reverse baldness, but they probably won't work for this if you've been bald for many years.)

These will also halve your PSA level, but they don't have any impact on your prostate cancer risk, so you need to double up your PSA test results when you're on them, to assess prostate cancer risk.

There are 3 forms of DHT. Finasteride prevents one of these being produced, and Dutasteride prevents two of them being produced.

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 21:13

I don't wish to alarm you but let me tell you my story which may help you to decide what to do. Chances are that you are fine but why risk and do nothing. I suffered from BPH/prostatitis for many years and I kept an eye on my PSA annually. 12 years age at the age of 71 my PSA showed a big jump of 2 points, within 2 years, although it was still within my age range. When I asked my GP to refer me to a urologist she told me not to worry; she did not agree with me that the rate of rise had any significance. Fortunately, I have private health insurance and I bypassed our surgery and found a very experienced urologist. He also thought that the rate of rise of my PSA was significant  and did in fact diagnosed prostate cancer. Within three weeks he carried out robot assisted prostatectomy in a London  private hospital and the rest is history. 

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 07 Aug 2023 at 03:40
What was your psa when you were diagnosed if I may ask? Avodart was prescribed to reduce the size and also see how much it reduced psa. They will repeat the psa and do an mri based on results. Thank you kindly for your insight.
User
Posted 07 Aug 2023 at 03:41

It was prescribed to reduce the size and also see how much it reduced psa. They will repeat the psa and do an mri based on results. Thank you kindly for your insight.