I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosis Methods

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 08:46

My diagnosis started with a digital exam by my GP, and then by the consultant. No problem.

I was surprised to find that my local NHS insisted on a biopsy (Wigan 2018). I asked for an MRI but they insisted biopsy comes first. The biopsy was clear, so I was then sent for a scan, which revealed abnormal cells in another part of the prostate, ... so another biopsy! This seemed crazy. A scan first would have told them where a biopsy was necessary first time, reducing the unnecessary risk of a second biopsy.

Are any regions still insisting on biopsy first? 

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 10:36

Since 2018 it is nearly always MRI first, but before then I think it was biopsy first. I was diagnosed in east Manchester in 2018. It was MRI first. 

Dave

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 11:12

I was diagnosed in Luton and Dunstable in mid 2018. They had just started their one-stop shop and MRI before biopsey the week before, but it wasn't yet running smoothly. (I had the MRI first, but it wasn't reported in time, so they did a TRUS biopsy anyway, and then the MRI came back saying don't bother with a TRUS biopsy, go straight to a template biopsy. The TRUS biopsy came back having found nothing, so I had a template biopsy which found loads.

It was 2018 when MRI before biopsy rolled out, the PROMIS trial of it having finished and reported.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 10:36

Since 2018 it is nearly always MRI first, but before then I think it was biopsy first. I was diagnosed in east Manchester in 2018. It was MRI first. 

Dave

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 11:12

I was diagnosed in Luton and Dunstable in mid 2018. They had just started their one-stop shop and MRI before biopsey the week before, but it wasn't yet running smoothly. (I had the MRI first, but it wasn't reported in time, so they did a TRUS biopsy anyway, and then the MRI came back saying don't bother with a TRUS biopsy, go straight to a template biopsy. The TRUS biopsy came back having found nothing, so I had a template biopsy which found loads.

It was 2018 when MRI before biopsy rolled out, the PROMIS trial of it having finished and reported.