Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rise in PSA despite chemo

User
Posted 14 Aug 2023 at 17:14

OH has now had 5 out of 6 chemo sessions. He is T4 N1 M1

His PSA initially dropped from 11 to 0-5 but the last 2 tests have seen a slight increase, 1.2 then 1.5

Does this mean the chemo and Hormone treatment is not working?

Edited by member 14 Aug 2023 at 19:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 01:37

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

His PSA initially dropped from 11 to 0-5 but the last 2 tests have seen a slight increase, 1.2 then 1.5

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question, hopefully someone will come soon who can.

Was it ever suggested this could happen? Maybe you could call your CNS if you have one allocated.

Hope things work out ok and PSA drops again.

Elaine

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 10:54

I'm sorry I don't know the answer either.

It's not uncommon that PSA rises in the first few sessions, and that doesn't mean it isn't working. In the past, patients would be stopped in this case, but papers now suggest that shouldn't be done just because PSA is rising at that point. I don't know about PSA rising nearer the end of the chemo. I think they usually go more on scan comparisons during chemo than on PSA, because chemo itself can push up PSA.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 14:29

Hi ok I had radio therapy and now my psa is at 0.01 for second time using APPALUTAMIDE tablets every day...i  also have an injection every three months called prostap3, so far I'm OK but I do get the odd side effect but in myself I'm OK....

Cheers MrTonyc01

Hope ya OK 

Edited by member 12 Oct 2023 at 14:30  | Reason: Spelling wrong

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 14:41

Chemo has now ended, scan results are good. Radiotherapy is now the plan. Despite the good scan results PSA is still rising- last test was 2.5

Can’t stop worrying 

Sounds really positive that the scan results are good and that radiotherapy can go ahead.

I really don’t know for sure but my thoughts would be if your husband still has a prostate then some of that number could be healthy prostate? Hopefully someone can give you more accurate information.

I think the worrying is very normal, I freak out with every twinge or cough that my husband has….my stomach literally flips when he coughs sometimes 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Really hope all goes well with ongoing treatment x

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 18:44

Hi

My PSA is slowly rising (as per profile)my onco goes on 4 factors scan results,x-ray results,PSA and finally how you are feeling and plans forward from there my cancer chemist tells me not to get hung up on numbers,PSA is not the only factor to take into consideration.

I hope this helps,regards Phil 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 01:37

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question, hopefully someone will come soon who can.

Was it ever suggested this could happen? Maybe you could call your CNS if you have one allocated.

Hope things work out ok and PSA drops again.

Elaine

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 10:54

I'm sorry I don't know the answer either.

It's not uncommon that PSA rises in the first few sessions, and that doesn't mean it isn't working. In the past, patients would be stopped in this case, but papers now suggest that shouldn't be done just because PSA is rising at that point. I don't know about PSA rising nearer the end of the chemo. I think they usually go more on scan comparisons during chemo than on PSA, because chemo itself can push up PSA.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 13:58

Chemo has now ended, scan results are good. Radiotherapy is now the plan. Despite the good scan results PSA is still rising- last test was 2.5

Can’t stop worrying 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 14:29

Hi ok I had radio therapy and now my psa is at 0.01 for second time using APPALUTAMIDE tablets every day...i  also have an injection every three months called prostap3, so far I'm OK but I do get the odd side effect but in myself I'm OK....

Cheers MrTonyc01

Hope ya OK 

Edited by member 12 Oct 2023 at 14:30  | Reason: Spelling wrong

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 14:41

Can’t stop worrying 

Sounds really positive that the scan results are good and that radiotherapy can go ahead.

I really don’t know for sure but my thoughts would be if your husband still has a prostate then some of that number could be healthy prostate? Hopefully someone can give you more accurate information.

I think the worrying is very normal, I freak out with every twinge or cough that my husband has….my stomach literally flips when he coughs sometimes 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Really hope all goes well with ongoing treatment x

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 15:10

Ok I'd wait until you have had all chemo sessions then see...things should be fine then !!!

Cheers Tonyc01 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 18:44

Hi

My PSA is slowly rising (as per profile)my onco goes on 4 factors scan results,x-ray results,PSA and finally how you are feeling and plans forward from there my cancer chemist tells me not to get hung up on numbers,PSA is not the only factor to take into consideration.

I hope this helps,regards Phil