I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Holiday Insurance post radical prostatectomy

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 17:37

My apologies I have read some of the “Holiday insurance’ threads and am still confused. I had a radical prostatectomy in early April and have had one PSA test in June with a PSA result of 0.05.

Do I have to declare my prostate cancer or can I simply exclude cancer treatment from my holiday insurance. I am currently well and have been back at work since June?

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 17:37

My apologies I have read some of the “Holiday insurance’ threads and am still confused. I had a radical prostatectomy in early April and have had one PSA test in June with a PSA result of 0.05.

Do I have to declare my prostate cancer or can I simply exclude cancer treatment from my holiday insurance. I am currently well and have been back at work since June?

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 18:11

Hi Dick747
I think You WILL certainly have to tell your holiday insurance company that you have had treatment for Prostate Cancer for which you have now finished treatment. You normally have to declare anything that’s happened in the past so many years. Some companies will allow you to exclude pre existing medical conditions.

I would think that as you have finished treatment and have a good PSA it will be less than if you had not finished your treatment. There are many companies where you an go online and they will guide you through the pre-existing  medical condition section….or just give them a phone and explain your circumstances. I’m with ALLClear,  but there are others such as insurewith, staysure, JustTravel….and many more. One bit of advice…..go for an annual policy, it is not that much more expensive than a short term policy.

hope this helps,

Derek

Edited by member 15 Aug 2023 at 18:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 18:29

The medical questions about cancer will usually be "have you had treatment for cancer in the last five years?" . For you, until early April 2028 the answer to that is, "Yes". If you don't like the look of the premium then most insurance companies will let you exclude an existing condition, i.e. prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is unlikely to be a problem on your holiday, and I assume you have no complications from the operation because they will be excluded too.

I was treated in September 2018, I have excluded prostate cover since then. I assume after September 2023 it will become irrelevant for the insurance companies, and I won't have to declare it, though in reality prostate cancer can return at anytime.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Aug 2023 at 19:18

Good - and hope you really enjoy your holiday!  As far as travel insurance is concerned, my wife and I always exclude pre-conditions if there's very little or no risk of anything related to them happening while we are away, eg I have low-risk prostate Ca which is being monitored (AS) and I can't think of any circumstances in which this would impact medically while I'm in Tenerife (or wherever!)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 18:11

Hi Dick747
I think You WILL certainly have to tell your holiday insurance company that you have had treatment for Prostate Cancer for which you have now finished treatment. You normally have to declare anything that’s happened in the past so many years. Some companies will allow you to exclude pre existing medical conditions.

I would think that as you have finished treatment and have a good PSA it will be less than if you had not finished your treatment. There are many companies where you an go online and they will guide you through the pre-existing  medical condition section….or just give them a phone and explain your circumstances. I’m with ALLClear,  but there are others such as insurewith, staysure, JustTravel….and many more. One bit of advice…..go for an annual policy, it is not that much more expensive than a short term policy.

hope this helps,

Derek

Edited by member 15 Aug 2023 at 18:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 18:29

The medical questions about cancer will usually be "have you had treatment for cancer in the last five years?" . For you, until early April 2028 the answer to that is, "Yes". If you don't like the look of the premium then most insurance companies will let you exclude an existing condition, i.e. prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is unlikely to be a problem on your holiday, and I assume you have no complications from the operation because they will be excluded too.

I was treated in September 2018, I have excluded prostate cover since then. I assume after September 2023 it will become irrelevant for the insurance companies, and I won't have to declare it, though in reality prostate cancer can return at anytime.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Aug 2023 at 17:32

Thank you for that advice, now to book the holiday.

User
Posted 23 Aug 2023 at 19:18

Good - and hope you really enjoy your holiday!  As far as travel insurance is concerned, my wife and I always exclude pre-conditions if there's very little or no risk of anything related to them happening while we are away, eg I have low-risk prostate Ca which is being monitored (AS) and I can't think of any circumstances in which this would impact medically while I'm in Tenerife (or wherever!)

User
Posted 23 Nov 2023 at 19:03
Thanks for the question. I'm 10 years post surgery and radiotherapy and fuming at the quotes i'm seeing for myself and my partner with controlled high blood pressure. I'll follow up the companies tomorrow