I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad recently diagnosed with locally advanced prostate ca.

User
Posted 16 Aug 2023 at 00:07

Please I need recommendations on affordable centers for radiotherapy in the uk. I have made contacts with a few hospitals and the price range has been around £20,000.
we are self pay and would appreciate any suggestions for a reduced cost . 
Thank you. 

User
Posted 16 Aug 2023 at 13:43

The price you gave is what I occasionally hear, but I haven't researched it.

There's a big range of radiotherapy treatments, and which ones are suitable will depend on his precise diagnosis.

The traditional dose was 37 sessions (or 30-35 for salvage radiotherapy).

Hypofractionation brought this down to 20 sessions where only the prostate needs targeting.

SABR has brought this down to 5 or 6 sessions (again for cases of treating prostate only).

SABR is being trialed with just 2 sessions.

There's also brachytherapy, either seeds or high dose rate.

These are probably significantly different prices, although there's planning on top in all cases. Private treatment is available in both NHS hospitals and private hospitals. Given the possible need for many daily visits, it might help if you said what area you are based in. You would normally have to go through an oncologist who would decide which treatment regimes might be appropriate.

Edited by member 16 Aug 2023 at 13:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Aug 2023 at 15:27

Thank you for your response . It’s been quite helpful. 
I have been in the uk for just 3 months and not quite familiar with how things work here . 
I will have a consultation with the oncologist and see how it goes from there . 
I am based in Kent and would like to explore options within the location. 
Thank you .