I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A Rise in PSA

User
Posted 16 Aug 2023 at 17:17

My husband is 56 years old.  He had a PSA of 3.2 this time last year, they found he had an enlarged prostate (80cc) and he had a biopsy, which came back clear.  He was told to have his PSA tested yearly and if it rose to 9.6 to go back, which is what he did.  It came back today at 4.4.  Is this a big rise?  Because it is not at 9.6 the GP is saying it is ok.

User
Posted 16 Aug 2023 at 22:54

Hi,  are you sure he said 9.6 as that seems high?

3.2 for an 80cc prostate seems lowish so whether 4.4 is high is debatable.  Although as it has risen from 3.2 it's likely worth asking the GP.  It might be nothing as an 80cc prostate is large and will increase his psa, but better to be safe than sorry.  You might also ring the nurse at Prostate Cancer UK, they're helpful.

GPs are unlikely to actually monitor your psa.  They just put a generic note for a clerk to read if you ring.  Usually something like if it's under 4 it's OK.   As I have no prostate and it shouldn't be more than about 0.05 then I knew it wasn't a good answer.  I wouldn't assume your GP knows your status.

Regards Peter

User
Posted 16 Aug 2023 at 23:06
Go back to your GP 9.6 has no relevance and must be a mistake.

A 33% rise in a year is not to be ignored.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 01:43

As his prostate is about 3 times larger than average, a PSA of 3.2 would be about 1.1 in an average man and 4.4 equates to about 1.5. So these figures on their own are not too troublesome, but as francij says it's a 33% rise in a year and that needs keeping a close eye on. I think you will have difficulty getting the GP to ignore the consultants strange choice of 9.6 as a threshold (a meaningless number). I would get another PSA test in six months if his PSA is then over 5.0 there is strong evidence this isn't just a blip it is a steady rise and that is usually cancer.

Because the PSA figures are not exceptionally high and a year ago the biopsy was clear, I don't think waiting six months to get a clearer picture is a big risk. I think if you went all guns blazing at the GP now and another biopsy came back clear you would have great difficulty getting any future help from the GP until 9.6 was crossed. 

Dave

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 19:47
In my own experience, as a 74-year-old, my first PSA reading of 10.9 and second a month later at 9.3 gave rise to a fast-track referral to the local hospital with a urology consultant (DRE showed no significant problems) who prescribed tamsulosin for two months. Then no real change in PSA so an MRI scan (Likert 3) followed by a biopsy with a diagnosis of Gleason 3+4 (later reduced to 3+3 after a second opinion which is another story). At the moment under AS. My last two PSA readings have been 12.93 (think I had an infection) and most recent was 9.9. Now, I know these levels look very high but my prostate is very large indeed at 94cm and several consultants I've spoken to haven't been too bothered about it. Of course, I do know I have Ca but my consultant says as long as the PSA remains around 11 there isn't a problem. PSA levels can be very relative and confusing.