I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Semen following a prostate biopsy

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 09:50

I had a transperineal biopsy a week ago, took the courage last night to see what would happen when I ejaculated, and was horrified by the outcome – it appeared that I was ejaculating pure blood. I read that there would be some blood in my semen, but was shocked that it appeared to be pure blood. Should I wait before I ejaculate again, or try and get as much of this out of my system as possible. Is it safe to have oral sex, providing I don't ejaculate? What's worked for everyone else. Should I wait until my semen returns to normal? Thanks!

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 11:42

The blood is harmless unless you have an infection, but that doesn't mean a partner is necessarily going to relish the idea. What about using a condom?

There's a whole long thread on this, and the total surprise and shock it causes not to be given a realistic idea what to expect. "There may be some blood in your semen for 6 weeks" as most of the leaflets say really doesn't set the correct expectation.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t21089-Blood-in-semen-after-biopsy

Edited by member 17 Aug 2023 at 12:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 14:05

Hi Keith

Yes it was the same for me. And I thought "now I have a bit more of an idea what it must be like to menstruate."

My ejaculate did clear up after a week or so. And like Andy said, enjoy ejaculating as much as you like while you still can!

Warmly

Mish

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 14:27
Thanks. I mean, I should count myself fortunate that the results of my biopsy were clear, and I don't require any further treatment. I've found this site invaluable, as far as explaining the biopsy process, and what to expect afterwards, although nothing prepared me for the amount of blood I ejaculated last night. It's encouraging to hear that it does clear up though...
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 10:24
If it didn't hurt ejaculate as much as possible!.

If your other half likes black pudding then oral should be good too

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 11:42

The blood is harmless unless you have an infection, but that doesn't mean a partner is necessarily going to relish the idea. What about using a condom?

There's a whole long thread on this, and the total surprise and shock it causes not to be given a realistic idea what to expect. "There may be some blood in your semen for 6 weeks" as most of the leaflets say really doesn't set the correct expectation.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t21089-Blood-in-semen-after-biopsy

Edited by member 17 Aug 2023 at 12:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 11:56
Ah, thanks. Yes, I've just had a look at your post on that thread. I'm glad I'm not alone in recoiling in horror at what happened when I ejaculated for the first time following the biopsy. The blood in my urine cleared up after two days, and even then it was minimal – but no doubt that's down to how many times I go for a pee, compared to the other!
User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 14:05

Hi Keith

Yes it was the same for me. And I thought "now I have a bit more of an idea what it must be like to menstruate."

My ejaculate did clear up after a week or so. And like Andy said, enjoy ejaculating as much as you like while you still can!

Warmly

Mish

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 14:27
Thanks. I mean, I should count myself fortunate that the results of my biopsy were clear, and I don't require any further treatment. I've found this site invaluable, as far as explaining the biopsy process, and what to expect afterwards, although nothing prepared me for the amount of blood I ejaculated last night. It's encouraging to hear that it does clear up though...