Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New member (pun intended...)

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 12:09

Hi

Just wanted to check in really, as this seems like a great place to find advice.

I'm 59, and currently waiting for my biopsy results (from 1st August). I have no idea whether I'm waiting for the phone to ring or a letter to arrive, but I guess this might differ by area.

Had a PSA test done in March, as my dad had prostate cancer and I figured I should get checked. Initial level of 9.8 dropped to 5.2 on re-test, but was sent to Urology based on my family history. Initial consultation resulted in being treated for likely prostatitis with 4 weeks tablets. Level then went up to 5.8 and a DRE found something not right. MRI scan came back with Pirads 4, so then the biopsy. 19 cores taken, and am now in limbo.

There seem to be a bewildering array of outcomes having read through a few pages on here, but I'll be glad when the call comes, as my stress levels are not good.

I'm sure I'll be back on here for advice when I know more.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 12:09

Hi

Just wanted to check in really, as this seems like a great place to find advice.

I'm 59, and currently waiting for my biopsy results (from 1st August). I have no idea whether I'm waiting for the phone to ring or a letter to arrive, but I guess this might differ by area.

Had a PSA test done in March, as my dad had prostate cancer and I figured I should get checked. Initial level of 9.8 dropped to 5.2 on re-test, but was sent to Urology based on my family history. Initial consultation resulted in being treated for likely prostatitis with 4 weeks tablets. Level then went up to 5.8 and a DRE found something not right. MRI scan came back with Pirads 4, so then the biopsy. 19 cores taken, and am now in limbo.

There seem to be a bewildering array of outcomes having read through a few pages on here, but I'll be glad when the call comes, as my stress levels are not good.

I'm sure I'll be back on here for advice when I know more.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 13:37

Thanks JedSee

I wasn't too bad waiting for the biopsy (4 weeks after MRI) but must admit I have been getting steadily more wound up and anxious since last week. It wont do any good though, so I'll try and take your advice I think and busy myself, instead of checking my phone for missed calls every 10 minutes 👍

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 13:18

Hi Harty 17/21L,

I know it's easier said than done, but if you can, try to distract yourself with pleasurable activities until you receive your full results.  Until then, it can be difficult to make sense of all the possible options.

Take good care of yourself.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2023 at 13:37

Thanks JedSee

I wasn't too bad waiting for the biopsy (4 weeks after MRI) but must admit I have been getting steadily more wound up and anxious since last week. It wont do any good though, so I'll try and take your advice I think and busy myself, instead of checking my phone for missed calls every 10 minutes 👍

User
Posted 18 Aug 2023 at 01:28

Hi Harty,

If you’re not sure what to expect ie phone or letter, maybe give the hospital a call to ask. It may also just move you along if your stuck in a pile somewhere.

The waiting is definitely the worst and something I don’t handle well so I’m quite often ringing and emailing to get some answers when I need them. 

Best of luck for your results and hopefully you won’t wait too much longer.

Elaine

User
Posted 18 Aug 2023 at 14:11
Hi Harty,

I've just gone through the same wait, hang in there.

Was convinced it would be clear as no family history of cancer, no symptoms and was quite relaxed.

Then came the bombshell it was positive.

There is no easy answer, you have to prepare and hope.

One thing I can say, no-one in the NHS relishes giving this kind of news out, they are all sympathetic and running at 100mph constantly trying to keep up with the workloads.

Good luck and so hope you come back clear.

User
Posted 18 Aug 2023 at 19:56

Thanks Ohwow, and sorry you got bad news.  I hope yours is minor and they sort you out without too much grief.

Im sort of expecting bad news tbh given my MRI result and the symptoms I’ve got, but will be glad when the wait for news is over.

let me know how you get on mate 👍