I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New CT scan

User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 14:49

I have approaching 2 years of PSA <0.03 and undetectable testosterone. Started in February 2021 with PSA of 64 and 3 small mets. I had radiation to the prostate, take enzalutamide every day and zolodox injection every 3 months. Bloods taken every month and the oncologist phones me every 3 months.  I asked him if another scan was scheduled and he said no need as PSA continued low. I would like to know. I appreciate that NHS time is at a premium but have considered going private. Is this advisable and where could I get one done? Or should I maintain my confidence in the medical team and follow their advice? 

User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 21:34

Catyambe, I assume somebody would have to authorise the scan even if you are going private. At <0.03 would a CT scan see anything, I had several scans as part of a trial, when my PSA was between 0.7 and 1.1 and nothing was seen. A PSMA pet scan did see a tumor at 1.4.

What would you do if it saw anything.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 24 Aug 2023 at 21:35  | Reason: Forgot PSMA

User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 21:45
Thanks for that Chris. I've never been one to live with uncertainty but I guess the whole thing about PC is that it is uncertain. Certainly my confidence has improved over the past 12 months. On Sunday I go to Spain and again in October and December - making that 6 visits in 2023! I was never concerned about ED - I have been round the block a few times and it was time to retire anyway and not have a wife to worry about I am content. Tiredness continues to be a bugger but very limited hot flushes and no weight gain. So I will go with my oncologist and let it all play out - hopefully over the next decade+.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 21:34

Catyambe, I assume somebody would have to authorise the scan even if you are going private. At <0.03 would a CT scan see anything, I had several scans as part of a trial, when my PSA was between 0.7 and 1.1 and nothing was seen. A PSMA pet scan did see a tumor at 1.4.

What would you do if it saw anything.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 24 Aug 2023 at 21:35  | Reason: Forgot PSMA

User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 21:45
Thanks for that Chris. I've never been one to live with uncertainty but I guess the whole thing about PC is that it is uncertain. Certainly my confidence has improved over the past 12 months. On Sunday I go to Spain and again in October and December - making that 6 visits in 2023! I was never concerned about ED - I have been round the block a few times and it was time to retire anyway and not have a wife to worry about I am content. Tiredness continues to be a bugger but very limited hot flushes and no weight gain. So I will go with my oncologist and let it all play out - hopefully over the next decade+.
User
Posted 09 Sep 2023 at 07:29

Thanks for the information.    TellTims Survey

Edited by member 11 Sep 2023 at 05:05  | Reason: Not specified