Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

0. 7 Psa after 4 months since RP

User
Posted 27 Aug 2023 at 19:08

Hi all. 

My dad has just received a psa 0.7  4 months after a seemingly successful Rp. 

This is after a gleason 4+4 and 3a stage diagnosis. Pre Rp psa was 8.0.

I'm not looking for sugar coating here.. But I'm really struggling to get how psa has jumped up so quickly to 0.7 after being undetectable 6 weeks after op. Lymph nodes and margins were clear. 

I'm clearly assuming it's very bad news but I wondered if anyone had any insights... That's seems a very very short time for psa to jump so much compared to everything I read online..

Thanks, 

Luke

User
Posted 27 Aug 2023 at 23:35
Undetectable to 0.7 in 4 months sounds like an error, either the post of PSA was wrong or this one is
User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 20:36

Hi Luke. 

I had RP June 2020. PSA 0.2 after 3 months and 0.5 after 6. I did have positive margins. T3a.

I have now had salvage RT and two years of HT. My PSA after this secondary treatment has been <0.1. 

Stay positive until your dad get through the rest of his treatment.

Best wishes,

Jim

User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 22:32

I'm also suspecting a mistake with one of the readings, or was he on hormone therapy before the RP?
What was the histology result?

User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 23:09

It sounds like an error.   In 2.5 months a rise from undetectable to 0.7 is very rare.  Errors can be bad tests or decimal place errors.   

I think, but I'm not qualified, that he should have another test as treatment could be suggested if it really is that high, unlikely but not impossible.  The test should be at the same place as changing laboratories adds inconsistency to the test results, even though it looks like one test is wrong.   If things seem unlikely they often are.   Regards Peter