I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stuck in 'No Man's' Land ?!

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 19:55

The history of my 'brush' with Prostate Cancer is detailed in my updated profile.

After 11 years of testing my PSA continues to rise at a faster rate than in the past. My latest PSA. on 16 August, scored 25.7, before correction, against the 'corrected' target of 50 that was set after my last biopsy. I have had two Transperineal Biopsies, the first in June 2020 when 16 cores were taken, and the second in November 2022, when 39 cores were sampled, with both resulting in no cancer being found. I am to have a further MRI scan after which a 'new' PSA target will be set, with the process being repeated if the 'new' target is broken. I have been advised that there will be no further biopsies - which is the only good news to come out of this as far as I am concerned ! 

Has anyone 'out there' had a similar experience & if so what was the outcome ?

I feel that I am stuck in 'limbo' - whilst no cancer has been found there is clearly an expectation that something is wrong. I am not in the 'club' so to speak but neither am I out of it. We have put our lives on hold in the past, in the belief that a positive diagnosis is just around the corner, but I have suddenly realised that I am 76 & that 'putting things off' is no longer a realistic option. I sought a quote for travel insurance at the weekend, opting to cover existing medical conditions as I have done previously, the result was pretty 'mind boggling' !

Thanks

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 23:35
Hi Grafton,

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that although your PSA is high, the fact they are drawing blanks on the investigations for the biopsy's, MRI and bone scan is a good outcome surely. And demonstrates, even if you have PCa, its likely not significant or aggressive.

The limbo status will clearly cause worry.

But if they eventually managed to find PCa, at 76, you may expect to still have a long life expectancy if it were small and localised.

Have they considered prostatitis as a possible cause for the PSA readings?

User
Posted 30 Aug 2023 at 09:52

Hello, Grafton.

It was only by a third biopsy, this time a multiparametric MRI one that my husband's PC showed.  I guess also PSMA PET SCAN would work, provided that you're offered it as given the high cost of this test, it's not easy to get it done unless you  pay from pocket. Nevertheless, try. Living in limbo is worse than having a diagnosis and the possibility, very likely these days thankfully, of having a good treatment. Do not continue to go blind having periodical biopsies. Go straight to it.

Good luck.

Lola

User
Posted 30 Aug 2023 at 10:36

With relatively high PSA of 6-7 in my early 60’s, I had 2 biopsies, 3 DRE and 2 MRI and yet no sign of cancer. Either urologist said it is large or infected. However, sudden rise of PSA 11.5, then in the 3rd round of checking, MRI showed some abnormalities and 3rd biopsy came out to be G7.

Good luck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 23:35
Hi Grafton,

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that although your PSA is high, the fact they are drawing blanks on the investigations for the biopsy's, MRI and bone scan is a good outcome surely. And demonstrates, even if you have PCa, its likely not significant or aggressive.

The limbo status will clearly cause worry.

But if they eventually managed to find PCa, at 76, you may expect to still have a long life expectancy if it were small and localised.

Have they considered prostatitis as a possible cause for the PSA readings?

User
Posted 30 Aug 2023 at 01:20
You don't read of it often but I do remember that going back quite some time there was a case where it took 3 biopsies to find some elusive PCa and there may have been others. However, there have been cases where PSA was considerably higher than yours but no PCa was found. Good idea to keep monitoring PSA though and consider further scans if Urologist considers advisable.
Barry
User
Posted 30 Aug 2023 at 09:52

Hello, Grafton.

It was only by a third biopsy, this time a multiparametric MRI one that my husband's PC showed.  I guess also PSMA PET SCAN would work, provided that you're offered it as given the high cost of this test, it's not easy to get it done unless you  pay from pocket. Nevertheless, try. Living in limbo is worse than having a diagnosis and the possibility, very likely these days thankfully, of having a good treatment. Do not continue to go blind having periodical biopsies. Go straight to it.

Good luck.

Lola

User
Posted 30 Aug 2023 at 10:36

With relatively high PSA of 6-7 in my early 60’s, I had 2 biopsies, 3 DRE and 2 MRI and yet no sign of cancer. Either urologist said it is large or infected. However, sudden rise of PSA 11.5, then in the 3rd round of checking, MRI showed some abnormalities and 3rd biopsy came out to be G7.

Good luck