I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Improvement in waterworks/ pooing post external beam RT

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 18:53

Its now 8 weeks since I finished 37 fractions of external beam RT for localised, advanced prostate cancer. The initial waterworks (urgency, increased frequency, flow rate reduced to a dribble) and pooing issues (increased need to poo at short notice) have eased a lot. I've now got a much better urine flow rate and I need to pee less frequently. I don't have to get up so often to pee at night. As a result I've got a much better quality of life - I can go out for a day without fearing that I might have an "accident". I hope this can give some hope to men who have had issues with their waterworks/ pooing post RT - just hang on in there - it will most likely improve without intervention or medication.

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 14:39

Facing start in 3 days of 5 fractions oof external radiotherapy.  The purpose is to zap using x-ray beam the metastatic cancer tissue whose growth would one day threaten spinal chord nerves by crowding and closing of foramen, e.g. at locations L3, L4, T12.  Awful if this gain is offset by new and prolonged damage to natural urinary, and bowel organs and functions.  On internet one source said 40% of patients would experience this.  Almost on the point of pulliing out or postponing first radiotherapy shots, or to ask doctor for reduction of the fractions, say down to one?

I have already commenced Enzalutamide treatment, after all that can slow down. or stop, or even eliminate cancer tissue growth.      

The choice is between the devil and the deep blue sea.  Where did anyone buy incontinence pants?  Someone said from Tesco, but which branch store in London?

User
Posted 04 Sep 2023 at 12:01

Thanks for your posting

It is difficult to make decisions based on our symptoms if, as in the majority of cases, you have asymptomatic prostate cancer. However, in my case, my waterworks were suddenly (summer 2021) giving me a lot of grief and had really affected my quality of life; I had to empty my bladder frequently, there was considerable urinary retention and a constant stinging sensation, which affected my mood. 2 months or so after anti-androgens (Bicalutamide and Zoladex) the horrible UT symptoms improved and my mood brightened a lot.

I decided to have the RT as it was my only chance of a "cure" (I was given a 70% chance of remission based on my diagnosis - T3bN0M0, Gleeson 3+4, spread to seminal vesicles). I would also very much like to come off Zodalex (I've got another 18 months left of 3 years of Zodalex). I was told, verbally, that there was a risk that the RT could cause bladder and/ or bowel cancer, but I can't find a percentage risk of that in the consent form I signed or any other literature I was given. I've a vague recollection that RT induced cancer would only become apparent 15-20 years post RT.

I can understand your dilemma. I don't know your age, but that might be a factor in your choice. If you're in your 70s and can have 15 or so years without any RT induced cancer being apparent, then that might be different than it would be if you were in your 40s.

You seem to be very clued up and I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.

Nigel