I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter advice please!

User
Posted 04 Sep 2023 at 19:48

Hi, having RP next week and I read on here about a gel that helps with catheter soreness on the penis tip (I know, least of my worries probably!) but I thought I’d get some in advance so not having to worry it post op. Does anyone know what’s best to get?

Thanks very much.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2023 at 23:04

6zark6, my first preference would always be instilagel. My NHS area dropped instilagel and went onto hydrocaine. At my last request the hydrocaine was substituted with optilube. They are all very similar and contain anesthetic, antiseptic and lubrication. Thing like KY gel do not have the same effect for me.

The three gels are usually available without prescription at most pharmacies except Boots. Boots may supply optilube without prescription.

They cost around £2-3 a syringe and come in 6ml or 11ml. The hospital may give you some.

Take a packet of your favourite biscuits into hospital, idea if peckish in the middle of the night.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 05 Sep 2023 at 13:23
Ask if they can supply you with a stick on plaster on your thigh that holds the catheter pipework - I forget the name of them. My pain was mainly from the swinging pipework and as I have a smaller than average penis, the catheter tube was much larger than the urethrer and so I did have some pain, but only when the pipework caught on something when moving. When lying/sitting still there was no pain or inflammation.

However the ONE thing that the nurses stressed repeatedly was to keep the area where the catheter enters the penis 100% sterile - never touch it with your hands or fingers - just sterile gauze soaked in antiseptic and do that every time you empty the bag.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2023 at 14:28
Hi 6zark6.

Good advice from the 2 previous comments, I would add to the advice from Steve about the catheter rubbing & the stick on plaster.

I found the elasticated thigh bandages where of a great help I fed the bag & pipe into 1 of those & I didn’t get much rubbing on the end of penis but I did get some antiseptic lube from boots.

All the best Jeff.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2023 at 15:12

I am a long term catheter and use the stick on device. I use the statlock one, it is supposed to be changed after 7 days ,but will last 14 days even if showering every day. I found the adhesive on the ugo brand pretty poor.Wise words from Jeff about keeping things clean.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 05 Sep 2023 at 15:13  | Reason: Not specified