I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New test result slightly high PSA

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 12:26

Hello I’m new to this. I got results today that my PSA is 5.549 and I’ve to go in to GP in two weeks for digital exam and another blood test.

ferling kinda anxious but hoping it’s nothing to worry about.

any experiences to share?

im 63 and my Dad had prostrate cancer that only showed at 80

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 12:43

You are over the threshold for referring, but only just (although there isn't just one universally accepted set of thresholds). It is right for the GP to wait 6-12 weeks and retest. They might also test to make sure you don't have a UTI, and also don't go cycling or ejaculate for a day or two before the test. Having COVID or a COVID vaccination in the previous month can also push up PSA temporarily. One other thing, if you are on the drugs Finasteride or Dutasteride (for enlarged prostate), you need to double your PSA results, as they halve PSA without reducing your risk of prostate cancer.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 13:32

Thank you 

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 16:40
As Andy said, don't jump the gun until you know exactly what's going on and even it is early stage PCa then you are exactly at the right point for treatment. It's also a slow growing cancer - my PSA took a year to go from 6 to 9 when they decided treatment was needed (I chose the RARP as it suited me best).

You are likely to have the digital inspection and maybe a scan if they feel it necessary - but it may also be AS - Active Surveillance which is just a more frequent blood test.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 16:53

Thank you that’s reassuring 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 09:23

I had my digital exam and he said nothing making him think ‘oh sugar’ better get him checked further, but took blood again to check if still raised. Fingers crossed