I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bicalutamide and Prostap3, now Enzalutamide and first-time radiotherapy

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 17:03

This thread was started 6.5 years ago, and today for the first time I read it from beginning to end, unavoidably suffering from data indigestion.

I have had 2 years on Bicallutamide daily and Prostap quarterly, with everything taken in my stride.

My Prostate issue was diagnosed 12 years ago with a PSA count of 300. This dipped to 200 then rose to 2200 in 2021, then following Bicalutamide/Prostap fell to 5, It has now risen back up to 90.

I have now switched from Bicalutamide to daily Enzalutamide showing negligible adverse side-effects. Over 12 years I never had any semblance of a ghost of a shadow of bladder/bowel/gastro problems. That is why I am now watchful, but not exclusively focused on ups and downs of PSA count. My blood pressure is 135, oximeter count 99, temperature 36.6. I do exercise walk one hour every day and can jog if I choose to. I never had ANY surgery. I have NO aches and pains anywhere. When Prostate was first mentioned, I said, what's that?

Last week I had a n RT mapping session to draw three dots in preparation for 5 daily fractions of radiotherapy of unknown Grays starting next Wednesday.

My organs gifted by nature have always worked perfectly, and I am quite horrified by stories of bladder/bowel/gastro collateral damage caused by RT, some arising years after the event. To those who had it, if you were to do it again, would you have it again? Possibly I am in the wrong thread. This thread is about rescue RT, mine would be non-rescue RT.

I may postpone next Wednesday's showdown or ask my consultant if he would water it down to one fraction only, then look see the consequences for a while, not ignoring parallel progress from Enzalutamide.

The target of radiation in my case is likely to focus on L3, L4, T12 vertebrae cancer tissues, not at all on prostate, but I do not know the geography of the abdomen, whether fragile bladder/bowel/gastro organs are in line to receive collateral X-ray fire. As for my reason to have RT at all, it is to zap cancer tissue growth known from MRI and catscan to be gradually, very slowly threathening spinal cord nerves, threatening to close one or two foramens resulting possibly in pain and paralysis.

It is a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Edited by moderator 11 Sep 2023 at 12:48  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 21:15

Hi Mistermind, the RT you are having is called palliative RT. As you are aware with your high PSA and metastasis, no current treatment is likely to cure you. Spinal cord compression is something you really want to avoid, if they are offering RT to alleviate the risk, take it. It is hard enough to get treatment in the UK, so don't turn it down if offered.

BTW if you can start a thread of your own, all discussions about your illness can be in one place.

Edited by member 03 Sep 2023 at 21:16  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 06 Sep 2023 at 16:50
Thanks Dave64.

Today I had a frank conversation woth senior oncologist then crossed the Rubicon. I had the first of 5 fractions of 4 Grays each, focussed on metatastic spinal cord, lumbar and sacral sites only.

Today is over 30 Celsius in London, adding ro X-ray burns. Good luck to all.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 11:18

Mistermind, I hope all goes well with your RT.

Can I ask you nicely to start your own thread?

This is one I started when I had recurrence in 2016.

It doesn’t make sense to keep posting on this thread. 
Wishing you all the best,

Ido4