Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Confused by diagnosis

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 20:37

Hi

After an initial diagnosis of 3+4=7 N0 M0, I was referred to Addenbrookes to discuss RARP. They have now disagreed with the original team and say I am 3+3=6, so now have AS available as an option

I trust my consultant, who recommended surgery, and am now very confused. Has anybody else been in this situation.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 12:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

11 cores from 20 positive, 6 one side and 5 the other side, and I have one pathologist saying it is all 3+3, and another saying one side was 3+4.

I appreciate your consternation at being given two different opinions, but although viewed by experts there can be a difference of opinion, its not an exact science.

My first biopsy revealed only 2 out of 15 cores, one from each lobe of the prostate were cancerous, at only 5% and 10%. Gleason 3+3. I was told that most urologists class this type of cancer as benign and my research corroborated that.

20 months later that had risen to 20 out of 24 cores most at 40%. Gleason 9(4+5).

I was quite alarmed by this rapid progression, especially as my PSA levels had remained relatively  stable. 

Unfortunately most of my surveillance was during COVID restrictions. A recommended 6 month follow up MRI scan was not conducted and it hampered follow up consultations. When I asked whether it was normal to find such progression during AS, I was told 30% of of patients would require radical treatment at some stage. I was also told there was a likelihood that the first biopsy had not revealed the true extent of the disease.

On reflection I suppose I was unlucky. Perhaps the first TRUS biopsy had missed the most cancerous areas - unlucky. Perhaps had the follow up 6 month MRI scan not been cancelled, it may have shown disease progression - unlucky. Poor consultations and communications due to COVID restrictions - unlucky. Being in the 30% that need radical treatment during AS - unlucky.

But I'm still  much luckier than many others. 👍

Edited by member 28 Dec 2023 at 14:57  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 22:37

Prostate biopsy samples are interpreted by the human eye. One person may call something as a 4 the other call it a 3. Sounds like the first pathologist was a pessimist the second an optimist. You're decision will be guided by whether you are a pessimist or an optimist.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 20:08

Well the decision is to go on AS for now, after another chat with my Urologist. She says she would have suggested that if the original path report had said 3+3 instead of 3+4. 

Im feeling quite positive at the minute with this choice, although it will take some getting used to. I just couldn’t get my head round risking the likely side effects of treatment yet, if I can put them off for a while.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 10:17

Quite a surprising conversation then. Here is my take on it if it makes any sense (it might not lol).

1. I cannot believe that he believes that the PCa will cure itself, it won't so at some point he will need to act.
2. AS is delaying the inevitable.

With all due respect I disagree with you.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the cancer will cure itself but there has been extensive research suggesting that far too many men with Gleason 3 + 3 prostate cancer are electing radical treatment unnecessarily. Some of these cancers are so slow growing that they can be safely dealt with by active surveillance.

However many on AS will find their disease progresses and will require further treatment.

In Dec 2020, I was diagnosed with T2a. Low volume low grade, Gleason 3 + 3 cancer, with reasonable safety margins. I did my own research and agreed with the MDT decision to go on AS.

I had regular 3 monthly PSA checks which remainded fairly stable between 4 and 6.7.

Unfortunately  a follow up MRI scan 20 months, later revealed that my disease had progressed. It was bilateral and had just breached the prostate capsule. My second biopsy showed that the cancer was now high grade, high volume. Gleason  4 + 5.

In Feb 2023 I had a robotic prostatectomy.

I suppose in hindsight I'd have been better off having surgery earlier but c'est la vie.

From my experience I've learnt that biopsies, especially TRUS, can be hit or miss. PSA tests are a good indicator but not conclusive.

I cant remember the exact percentage of those who never need any treatment when on AS but it was high enough for me to chance it.

Edited by member 18 Oct 2023 at 10:24  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 13:09

Hi Harty

Agree with what others have said, get rid, as until its out and they have diced and sliced the biopsies are an indication of grade/stage etc.  After removal, the grading and staging can go up or down.  My OT had his surgery at Addenbrookes (robotic) and will be 2 years post op in March.  If you have any questions, happy to help.  Best wishes.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2023 at 19:35

PSA result is finally in and it’s risen to 6.8. So far It’s been 5.2,  5.9 and now 6.8. Going to sleep on it, but probably roll the dice again and see what happens in March. Hope you all had a good Christmas!

Ian.

Edited by member 27 Dec 2023 at 19:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 12:31

This thread started with a post about a marginal decision between treatment and AS. I always err on the side of minimal intervention and keep a close eye on things in such a situation. I think the argument for radical treatment is getting stronger. I do have two friends on active surveillance and their PSAs both jump around between about 10 and 15, so you PSA may come down at the next test, but I think you need to keep a very close eye on this, possibly with MRI scan rather than just PSA test.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 12:33

'I am a bit concerned at the rate of rise though,.........'

Just a thought on the rate of rise of PSA: The rate of rise of PSA rather than its absolute value may be quite important in assessing whether to treat the cancer or not. Before my diagnosis and treatment I was having my PSA checked every year and over a couple of years I noticed that its rate of rise had changed significantly although it was still within my age range. When I mentioned this to my GP several times she kept saying that my PSA was 'within the range expected for my age'; I don't think she understood what I meant by 'rate of rise'! So I bypassed her and consulted a urologist privately (health insurance). He agreed with me, carried out a biopsy, MRI and prostatectomy, all within a period of three weeks. My wife says that my anxiety and paranoia for once was a useful characteristic of my personality!

ps This message has a blue highlight! I don't know why.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2023 at 12:34  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 16:44

Thanks for the update Ian.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. IF you end up having to have radical treatment you could argue that you could have done it a few months earlier BUT on the otherhand, by taking the choice you did, those 'lost months' have all been free from likely radical treatment side effects. Enjoy your further 3 months side effect free, time. Who knows, you may still not need radical treatment after that.

All the best pal.

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 16:45  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 20:37

Hi

After an initial diagnosis of 3+4=7 N0 M0, I was referred to Addenbrookes to discuss RARP. They have now disagreed with the original team and say I am 3+3=6, so now have AS available as an option

I trust my consultant, who recommended surgery, and am now very confused. Has anybody else been in this situation.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 23:17
I would ask for a technical explanation of the downgrade. Then have it removed anyway!
User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 02:08
Looks like the decision on whether to opt for AS and reevaluate depending on subsequent scans and PSA levels and even possibly another biopsy in due course or have the surgery reasonably soon is being left to you. In your position it may help you with your decision if you can establish from your Consultants how well your cancer is thought to be contained, although this cannot be determined definitively until a Prostate is examined in the lab. There are many cases where men have been able to go on AS for varying times,it has been shown by examination of removed Prostates that the cancer was more extensive than previously thought in a minority of cases, so possibly men in the second classification did well to have their Prostates removed. Gleason scores after Prostatectomy where different from pre surgery, are more often increased than lowered but the more important aspect is whether due to its placement all the cancer was removed.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 08:00

'I trust my consultant, who recommended surgery, and am now very confused. Has anybody else been in this situation.'

I am sure there are many men, including myself, who are and have been in a similar situation. However because diagnosis depends on subjective judgement (it is possible that in the future AI will probably provide more definitive diagnosis)  you have to rely on the experience of consultants and your confidence in them. I had confidence in my urologist but not in the oncologist so I chose surgery.  Any decision you make or any advice you seek from fellow sufferers and consultant there is strong element of cognitive dissonance; therefore, ultimately you have to make your decision on your gut feeling and that is what I did and many others do. Psychological urge to get rid of the prostate plays a big part in many men choosing surgery, as it did in my case. Good luck and I hope you feel comfortable and confident in the decision you make because a lot of healing takes place in our heads.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 09:36
I do agree Harty - mine was upgraded from 3+4=7 to 4+5=9 on the lab table so that is always a possibility. Even if it is 3+3=6 at the moment, I have never heard of PCa self-curing so it's likely that it will get worse over time.

If you can handle the side effects then removing it sounds like a good idea :)

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 11:17

Morning Harty

My PSA in the 9 month period prior to my operation at Addenbrookes was 5.32 (March 2021), 5.76 (April 2021) and 6.01 (September 2021).  I had 2 biopsies, one under local anesthetic which found only a few core samples were cancerous and that it was only in a small part of the prostate and one under general anesthetic 4 months later which found that most of the core samples taken were cancerous and that the cancer was throughout my prostate. Both times the Gleason score was 3+4 = 7, with less than 5% of the cancer being graded 4. I was initially on AS but following the last biopsy decided that I needed to take action and opted for surgery. Following the operation and the cut and dice of my prostate , my Gleason score and percentage remained the same but I was upgraded from a T2 to a T3a. This was because the cancer was bulging out of the prostate and had broken through the capsule, something that was not found on the scans. I had negative margins so there is a good chance that the cancer has all been taken out.

If I knew at the time of my initial diagnosis what I knew following the histology, I would have opted for surgery far sooner. Whether that would have meant the cancer remained within the capsule when it was removed who knows, but it could have done.

By the way, it might be easier to have all your comments on one thread rather than start a new thread

Ivan

User
Posted 17 Sep 2023 at 10:51

Morning Harty

My prostate was 55cc and the lesions were 15mm and 8mm, and the N & M numbers before surgery were zero. And were again confirmed as zero after surgery. My understanding is that the lesion size does not necessarily  mean that that is the size of the cancer it is an area in the prostate that has shown up on the scan as being different.

By the way, I have just today responded to the private message that you sent me last night

Ivan

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 10:08

Ok, I saw the surgeon at Addenbrookes yesterday, and the discussion did not go as expected. He said he would be happy to carry out the RARP if that is what I want, but that he strongly recommends that I go onto AS. He is happy with the revised diagnosis of 3+3=6 on both sides, and said that given my age, general health, the position of the tumours and the fact that they are well contained and nowhere near the capsule, he really thinks I should wait and monitor things. He went so far as to say that if someone operated on his father, with my cancer, he would want to press charges, and that whilst he was happy to operate if I wish, he would write "over treatment" in my notes!

I was a bit knocked sideways to be honest, as I thought I was there to discuss the details of the op and get signed up. Having slept on it though, I have to acknowledge that his years of experience must count for more than my panicky desire to be rid of the thing, and that if I can buy myself a few more years (hopefully) of only peeing when I want to, and still being able to coax a bit of life into the old fella downstairs, then I would be daft not to do so.

Final decision doesn't have to be made yet, but I think I am probably going to heed his advice and wait this out for a while.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 10:44

Morning Harty

You are between a rock and a hard place as your PSA is rising (5.9 when last tested), the biopsies have found cancer, though it has "only" been graded as a 3+3=6, and it is likely that you will  at some stage need to undergo treatment.

As you may recall, I decided to start treatment when my PSA reached 6.01, having increased from 5.76 in April of the same year, though I was a 3+4=7 (with less than 5% of the cancer being graded  4). You may also recall from my comments that based on the scans and the finger test I was initially a T2  but that was upgraded to a T3a when during the cut and slice of my prostate the cancer was found to have broken through the capsule and was bulging out. Now, it is very unlikely that that situation only existed after my last scan in September and must, because of my cancer's relatively low grading, been like that  much earlier.

Only you can make the final choice as to how to proceed and obviously do need to take account of what the experienced and professional consultant told you and what change(s) the operation will have on you.  If I decided not to go ahead with surgery at this time I would certainly want PSA tests being undertaken every 6 months. 

Ivan

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 11:21
Quite a surprising conversation then. Here is my take on it if it makes any sense (it might not lol).

1. I cannot believe that he believes that the PCa will cure itself, it won't so at some point he will need to act.

3. He might believe that giving you an extra year without the side effects is in your favour. Only you can decide whether that is true and whether living with the knowledge that there is something there that will eventually need radical treatment is better/worse than knowing you are going to have a period of ED and incontinence

4. Removing the prostate at this stage should give a much higher chance of nerve sparing as the cancer is completely contained.

5. Doing the surgery now might impact on his and the NHS workload

6. It has been known for G&T scores to be upgraded when the prostate is on the lab bench.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 11:25

Thanks Adrianus

I think my main concern is/was that in my urologists words they found quite a lot of PCa in the biopsy - 11 cores from 20 positive, 6 one side and 5 the other side, and I have one pathologist saying it is all 3+3, and another saying one side was 3+4. I am on AS for now, and will see what Decembers PSA test results are. Thankfully the one thing they agreed on was that it was well contained, so hopefully if it starts to grow, they will spot it in plenty of time.

Ian.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 21:37

Hi all

Just wondered if this was something others had experienced?

Ian.

Evening Ian.

I've experienced extreme fatigue, lack of concentration, impatience and anger. Unlike your good self I cannot remember having a solid 8 hours kip for years. I don't know if these symptoms are physically or psychologically connected with the disease.

Adrian

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 21:51

Hi all

Has anybody else suffered with real fatigue after diagnosis? To be honest it started a few months ago before I found out about this illness, but it appears to be getting worse. Chronic tiredness most of the time, even waking up after a good 8 hours sleep and just wanting to go back to bed. Brain fog, lack of concentration, no enthusiasm for anything or anyone. I recognise the symptoms of stress here (not too surprising) but the relentless tiredness is not something I was expecting or am familiar with?

Ian.

Macmillan produces a really helpful guide to the emotional impact of having cancer. All the symptoms you describe are mentioned by Macmillan - having low mood, anxiety or depression is very common when diagnosed with a serious illness. You should see some improvement once you become accustomed to the diagnosis and establish a new normal

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 21:05

Although everything is automated and electronic, it still needs your GP to approve publishing to the NHS app. During the Christmas period that could be the hold up.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Dec 2023 at 21:24

PSA result is finally in and it’s risen to 6.8. So far It’s been 5.2,  5.9 and 6.8

Hi Ian,

I'm disappointed to see a continued rise.

I know I must sound like a cracked record  but as a friend, I feel compelled to, once again, retell my AS story. It occurred during COVID restrictions which may have slightly impeded monitoring procedures, but in less than twenty months, my cancer had progressed from PSA 5.6  Gleason 6(3+3) only 2 out of 15 cores cancerous (only 5% and 10%) T2c, Grade 1; to PSA 6.6, Gleason 9(4+5), 40% cancerous in 20 out of 24 cores, T3a. Grade 5.

After my first MRI scan and biopsy I was told, like you, that there were reasonable safety margins, yet 20 months later they found extraproststic extension the capsule had been breached.

If your consultant thinks it's safe to continue for another 3 months, great stuff, but remember that conflicts with the advice of another one who appeared more in favour of surgery. 

Your initial biopsy was, on the face of it, worse than mine. Your tumour(s) were bigger than mine, you had more positive cores and there was confusion over whether you were Gleason 6 or 7.

Knowing what I know now, I think if I were you, I'd be asking for another opinion as to whether AS was still deemed appropriate. If so, as well as regular PSA checks, I would also ask for follow up MRI and if applicable another biopsy, within a year from your first one.

Perhaps, my first biopsy missed something or maybe I was just  unlucky that my disease progressed so rapidly. However it was very unsettling to be told how extensive and aggressive the disease had become, and that it may have already spread else where. I would never want you to be in that dreadful position.

Your clinicians are obviously far more knowlegeable than me but I've  experienced the flaws of AS and feel justified in warning you about them.

Sorry if I've rambled on and told you things that you'd probably not really want to hear, but proper friends sometimes have to do that.

To sum up, I'd say if there is a general consensus that AS is an option, and you chose it,  please ensure that you are monitored correctly. Don't be palmed off with just 3 monthly PSA checks and telephonic consultations. Insist you have other procedures to ensure your safety.

Best of luck mate. 

Adrian.

Edited by member 28 Dec 2023 at 10:05  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 09:28

Morning Ian

If it was me I would want to come off AS and start treatement. I did just that when my PSA score was still rising after around 4 months on AS. And if it was me, I would opt for surgery. As you know I did just that and although after my prostate was removed and sliced and diced my Gleason score stayed the same (3+4=7, with less than 5% being grade 4) my staging was increased from T2a to T3a (because the cancer was found to be bulging out from the prostate).

Ivan

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 15:09

Thanks guys. I think I will leave things for 12 more weeks and see what happens in March. If I get 3 increases in a row, then to my mind that rules out coincidence or quirky results.

Ive already had a second opinion (Adrian) on my diagnosis, which is what put me on AS in the first place. I think if I ask for a third they may have a sense of humour failure.

My original consultant, who said it needed to be treated, has concurred with the Cambridge team for now, and agrees with AS. 
Another rise will tell my simple mind that things are growing, and won’t stop growing until removed or deactivated. I shall find out on or around my 60th birthday, so may be celebrating with a change of plan 👍

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 15:25
There is always the possibility that the rise is down to infection / inflammation - the rise is too quick to be behaving like a normal 3+3 adenocarcinoma. however, your first consultant's initial advice was to have it treated and in September you were minded to get rid of it so, to my mind, you are probably going to make that decision in 12 weeks regardless of the PSA score? AS doesn't seem to be working well for you at the moment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 01:33
Might be worth asking your GP to add infection markers to the next PSA test

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 15:07

Hi Ian,

My first consultation was 17th December 2020, the letter summarising it was typed on 11th January, 2021. This was at the height of COVID restrictions.

Keep them on their toes, mate. 🙂 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 15:21

Hi folks

I wonder if any of you can help me understand a couple of bits I have now seen as of today, in my biopsy report (I requested a copy and just received it).

A bit of background - I requested it because my wife saw a PCUK publication which stated that men with more than 5mm of cancer present in a single core, should not be offered AS.

A) I have 3 cores with 6.9mm, 10mm and 11mm in them respectively.

B) I have 1 core with Perineural Invasion present.

C) I have 1 core with Crib/IDC present.

I don't really understand the significance of B or C, so thought I'd consult the wealth of knowledge on here?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ian.

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 15:35  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 17:44

Hi Ian,

The histology of my removed prostate revealed perineural invasion. I emailed my consultant's secretary to ask what it meant, she contacted him for me but I never got a clear reply. I'll ask him direct at my next telephonic consultation in mid February. I suspect it isn't good news. I think it means cancer cells were found surrounding or growing alongside a nerve fibre within the prostate. Apparently in my case this can increase the chance of recurrence.

It also showed extraprostatic extension, (I think that means it had breached the prostate capsule) but no extraprostatic perineural invasion ??? 

All Double Dutch to me.

As for your other points I haven't got a clue mate.

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 17:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 20:57

Well I'm glad my hospital are on top of the game with Active Surveillance. I had my PSA test mid December. Today I finally received a letter from the Consultant, marked urgent, dictated 20th December but not typed until 13th Jan! It basically says I should get tested again in 3 months - mid April (bear in mind the review was done mid December) then as a follow up action it confirms I should be reviewed in the virtual clinic in mid May. Luckily the blood test forms enclosed state collection needs to be by mid March, so at least one out of the three dates was correct. Doesn't inspire much confidence...

this is one of the reasons my husband decided against AS, I am worried sick about the risks of damage from RT but equally worried about delays with AS and spread as contact with CNS is as hard as contacting Robbie Williams 🤦‍♀️ not helped by conflicting MRI and biopsy. CNS called Wednesday saying she’d had a message he wanted to talk - he left the message for a call back two months ago … 

it’s hard to know what’s best. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:02

Hi Harty17/21L,

I can only pass on what I understand about " Crib" (Cribiform Morphology).  I was diagnosed with this from my own Histology Report (i.e. after surgical removal).  It seems to mean that, under the microscope, the cancer shows a different pattern to the standard form, and this is often indicative of a possibly more aggressive cancer.

I can't help at all with your other queries - sorry.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 16:03

If it is of any help, I had surgery to remove my prostate at Addenbrookes late December 2021 and all the surgeons there have a great reputation for undertaking this particular procedure. My recovery has been virtually textbook, though because everybody is different, even with the same staging, nothing can be guaranteed.

My history,if interested can be found under my profile.

Ivan,

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 20:54

Hi folks

I wonder if any of you can help me understand a couple of bits I have now seen as of today, in my biopsy report (I requested a copy and just received it).

A bit of background - I requested it because my wife saw a PCUK publication which stated that men with more than 5mm of cancer present in a single core, should not be offered AS.

I don't really understand the significance of B or C, so thought I'd consult the wealth of knowledge on here?

Ian.

I've only just seen this post. Crib/IDC is aggressive. Maybe this was a miniscule amount? Your PSA history from December was a bit steep. I'm not a medic I haven't seen your test results, so I don't know how to interpret this.

After your PSA next March, make sure you have a face to face meeting with the consultant.Take in your biopsy report, because you can be sure the consultant won't have his copy. Ask him to explain it to you, and confirm if you are still suitable for AS.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 12:19

The trend is ever upward, as mine was, and if I was you I would come off AS and decide on a treatment plan.  I was on AS for around 6 months and although my  Gleason score remained the same (3+4=7) after my prostate was removed and sliced and diced my staging was increased from T2 to T3a (Because the cancer was bulging out of the prostate).

Ivan

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 22:50

I think my main problem dealing with AS stems from being told originally that I couldn’t go on it. This was due to my Gleason score being 7, and the fact that in her words “there’s quite a lot of cancer in there” both sides, 11 cores positive. When the second pathologist downgraded my score and recommended AS, I took it to delay the obvious side effects of treatment, but I can’t help constantly wondering which lab got it right. I suppose the rising PSA is steering my brain towards believing the first one.

In some ways, it doesn't matter which lab is right. For AS to be a good option, the info needs to suggest everything is stable and you have to feel confident that the AS is actually active and you are being surveilled! Neither of these seems to be case for you- lots of errors and confused dates and changes of heart / approach; no wonder you are losing faith. The cribriform would also worry me. As I said in the previous post, I don't think it is so urgent that you need to panic but, looking at your previous post your next appointment is in May and perhaps that is the right time to just say "nope, I want treatment please." I am not sure what help a new MRI and biopsy would be to you except if you were considering staying on AS which I don't think you are? 

My father-in-law died because his AS wasn't done properly so while I think it is the right of any man with low scores to choose AS and avoid / postpone treatment if he can, I am probably hyper-suspicious of hospitals that don't seem to do it properly. 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 15:36

So I finally spoke to the consultant today. Whilst stopping short of saying the second opinion was wrong, she admitted there was a perfectly good chance that this was the case and that we had been misled. She also informed me that my original diagnosis of 3+4=7 from Peterborough, was given after my biopsy results were reviewed by two separate Pathologists. The SMDT decided to go with the version from the other Pathologist and downgraded my score to 6!

She fully expects my PSA level to rise again by my next test in June, at which point she will get me another MRI scan done, another biopsy for re-staging, then we can talk RARP. I questioned the 3 month wait but she said to trust her, and that it would be better to have another test result to base her advice on. I have to trust her knowledge and experience here, so didn't question her further.

Very frustrating, but it looks like I should have just cracked on with treatment back in September.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 22:37

Prostate biopsy samples are interpreted by the human eye. One person may call something as a 4 the other call it a 3. Sounds like the first pathologist was a pessimist the second an optimist. You're decision will be guided by whether you are a pessimist or an optimist.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 23:17
I would ask for a technical explanation of the downgrade. Then have it removed anyway!
User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 02:08
Looks like the decision on whether to opt for AS and reevaluate depending on subsequent scans and PSA levels and even possibly another biopsy in due course or have the surgery reasonably soon is being left to you. In your position it may help you with your decision if you can establish from your Consultants how well your cancer is thought to be contained, although this cannot be determined definitively until a Prostate is examined in the lab. There are many cases where men have been able to go on AS for varying times,it has been shown by examination of removed Prostates that the cancer was more extensive than previously thought in a minority of cases, so possibly men in the second classification did well to have their Prostates removed. Gleason scores after Prostatectomy where different from pre surgery, are more often increased than lowered but the more important aspect is whether due to its placement all the cancer was removed.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 08:00

'I trust my consultant, who recommended surgery, and am now very confused. Has anybody else been in this situation.'

I am sure there are many men, including myself, who are and have been in a similar situation. However because diagnosis depends on subjective judgement (it is possible that in the future AI will probably provide more definitive diagnosis)  you have to rely on the experience of consultants and your confidence in them. I had confidence in my urologist but not in the oncologist so I chose surgery.  Any decision you make or any advice you seek from fellow sufferers and consultant there is strong element of cognitive dissonance; therefore, ultimately you have to make your decision on your gut feeling and that is what I did and many others do. Psychological urge to get rid of the prostate plays a big part in many men choosing surgery, as it did in my case. Good luck and I hope you feel comfortable and confident in the decision you make because a lot of healing takes place in our heads.

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 08:32

Thanks all

Whilst downgrading the 4 to a 3, they also increased the number of positive cores to 11, so I think I’m still inclined to get rid of it anyway. It sounds quite likely that if they remove it and analyse it properly then the grading will probably change yet again anyway.

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 09:36
I do agree Harty - mine was upgraded from 3+4=7 to 4+5=9 on the lab table so that is always a possibility. Even if it is 3+3=6 at the moment, I have never heard of PCa self-curing so it's likely that it will get worse over time.

If you can handle the side effects then removing it sounds like a good idea :)

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 11:17

Morning Harty

My PSA in the 9 month period prior to my operation at Addenbrookes was 5.32 (March 2021), 5.76 (April 2021) and 6.01 (September 2021).  I had 2 biopsies, one under local anesthetic which found only a few core samples were cancerous and that it was only in a small part of the prostate and one under general anesthetic 4 months later which found that most of the core samples taken were cancerous and that the cancer was throughout my prostate. Both times the Gleason score was 3+4 = 7, with less than 5% of the cancer being graded 4. I was initially on AS but following the last biopsy decided that I needed to take action and opted for surgery. Following the operation and the cut and dice of my prostate , my Gleason score and percentage remained the same but I was upgraded from a T2 to a T3a. This was because the cancer was bulging out of the prostate and had broken through the capsule, something that was not found on the scans. I had negative margins so there is a good chance that the cancer has all been taken out.

If I knew at the time of my initial diagnosis what I knew following the histology, I would have opted for surgery far sooner. Whether that would have meant the cancer remained within the capsule when it was removed who knows, but it could have done.

By the way, it might be easier to have all your comments on one thread rather than start a new thread

Ivan

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 14:43

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I think I’m of a mind to crack on and get rid of it. I don’t know which histology result is right, but I opt for AS and the first team were correct, then I would have made a pretty poor choice. And as Steve said, it’s not going to get any better! I just had this nagging doubt that opting for surgery if it wasn’t deemed an absolute necessity, was overkill. I don’t think my mental health will benefit much from waiting around for ages on AS before probably having to have it out anyway though.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2023 at 14:18

Hi

is anybody clued up on tumour size? I got a copy of the letter to my GP today, bizarrely still giving a diagnosis of 3+4=7 N0M0, and it confirmed max tumour size left side 10mm, right side 11mm. Given the size of my prostate these sounded a bit large?

I also now have an appointment on Monday at Addenbrookes to discuss RARP and make a final decision.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2023 at 19:36
Those numbers sound about right - my prostate was 35cc and the tumour was on the left side and 14mm. I'm surprised that you are getting the N0M0 diagnosis as the N refers, I believe to the lymph nodes which won't be known until they are in the lab - but maybe they know more that I am aware of (probably). Of course I could be completely wrong :)
User
Posted 16 Sep 2023 at 21:08

Who knows Steve! I now have a letter saying diagnosis is 3+4=7, then in the next paragraph it still says the the Addenbrookes team think it is 3+3=6. Confusion reigns. At least on Monday I can hopefully get some clarity, along with confirmation that they will get rid of the thing. I guess once it’s out, they will actually be able confirm some numbers.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2023 at 10:51

Morning Harty

My prostate was 55cc and the lesions were 15mm and 8mm, and the N & M numbers before surgery were zero. And were again confirmed as zero after surgery. My understanding is that the lesion size does not necessarily  mean that that is the size of the cancer it is an area in the prostate that has shown up on the scan as being different.

By the way, I have just today responded to the private message that you sent me last night

Ivan

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 10:08

Ok, I saw the surgeon at Addenbrookes yesterday, and the discussion did not go as expected. He said he would be happy to carry out the RARP if that is what I want, but that he strongly recommends that I go onto AS. He is happy with the revised diagnosis of 3+3=6 on both sides, and said that given my age, general health, the position of the tumours and the fact that they are well contained and nowhere near the capsule, he really thinks I should wait and monitor things. He went so far as to say that if someone operated on his father, with my cancer, he would want to press charges, and that whilst he was happy to operate if I wish, he would write "over treatment" in my notes!

I was a bit knocked sideways to be honest, as I thought I was there to discuss the details of the op and get signed up. Having slept on it though, I have to acknowledge that his years of experience must count for more than my panicky desire to be rid of the thing, and that if I can buy myself a few more years (hopefully) of only peeing when I want to, and still being able to coax a bit of life into the old fella downstairs, then I would be daft not to do so.

Final decision doesn't have to be made yet, but I think I am probably going to heed his advice and wait this out for a while.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 10:44

Morning Harty

You are between a rock and a hard place as your PSA is rising (5.9 when last tested), the biopsies have found cancer, though it has "only" been graded as a 3+3=6, and it is likely that you will  at some stage need to undergo treatment.

As you may recall, I decided to start treatment when my PSA reached 6.01, having increased from 5.76 in April of the same year, though I was a 3+4=7 (with less than 5% of the cancer being graded  4). You may also recall from my comments that based on the scans and the finger test I was initially a T2  but that was upgraded to a T3a when during the cut and slice of my prostate the cancer was found to have broken through the capsule and was bulging out. Now, it is very unlikely that that situation only existed after my last scan in September and must, because of my cancer's relatively low grading, been like that  much earlier.

Only you can make the final choice as to how to proceed and obviously do need to take account of what the experienced and professional consultant told you and what change(s) the operation will have on you.  If I decided not to go ahead with surgery at this time I would certainly want PSA tests being undertaken every 6 months. 

Ivan

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 11:21

3. He might believe that giving you an extra year without the side effects is in your favour. Only you can decide whether that is true and whether living with the knowledge that there is something there that will eventually need radical treatment is better/worse than knowing you are going to have a period of ED and incontinence

4. Removing the prostate at this stage should give a much higher chance of nerve sparing as the cancer is completely contained.

5. Doing the surgery now might impact on his and the NHS workload

6. It has been known for G&T scores to be upgraded when the prostate is on the lab bench.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 20:08

Well the decision is to go on AS for now, after another chat with my Urologist. She says she would have suggested that if the original path report had said 3+3 instead of 3+4. 

Im feeling quite positive at the minute with this choice, although it will take some getting used to. I just couldn’t get my head round risking the likely side effects of treatment yet, if I can put them off for a while.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 10:17

With all due respect I disagree with you.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the cancer will cure itself but there has been extensive research suggesting that far too many men with Gleason 3 + 3 prostate cancer are electing radical treatment unnecessarily. Some of these cancers are so slow growing that they can be safely dealt with by active surveillance.

However many on AS will find their disease progresses and will require further treatment.

In Dec 2020, I was diagnosed with T2a. Low volume low grade, Gleason 3 + 3 cancer, with reasonable safety margins. I did my own research and agreed with the MDT decision to go on AS.

I had regular 3 monthly PSA checks which remainded fairly stable between 4 and 6.7.

Unfortunately  a follow up MRI scan 20 months, later revealed that my disease had progressed. It was bilateral and had just breached the prostate capsule. My second biopsy showed that the cancer was now high grade, high volume. Gleason  4 + 5.

In Feb 2023 I had a robotic prostatectomy.

I suppose in hindsight I'd have been better off having surgery earlier but c'est la vie.

From my experience I've learnt that biopsies, especially TRUS, can be hit or miss. PSA tests are a good indicator but not conclusive.

I cant remember the exact percentage of those who never need any treatment when on AS but it was high enough for me to chance it.

Edited by member 18 Oct 2023 at 10:24  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 11:25

Thanks Adrianus

I think my main concern is/was that in my urologists words they found quite a lot of PCa in the biopsy - 11 cores from 20 positive, 6 one side and 5 the other side, and I have one pathologist saying it is all 3+3, and another saying one side was 3+4. I am on AS for now, and will see what Decembers PSA test results are. Thankfully the one thing they agreed on was that it was well contained, so hopefully if it starts to grow, they will spot it in plenty of time.

Ian.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2023 at 12:46

11 cores from 20 positive, 6 one side and 5 the other side, and I have one pathologist saying it is all 3+3, and another saying one side was 3+4.

I appreciate your consternation at being given two different opinions, but although viewed by experts there can be a difference of opinion, its not an exact science.

My first biopsy revealed only 2 out of 15 cores, one from each lobe of the prostate were cancerous, at only 5% and 10%. Gleason 3+3. I was told that most urologists class this type of cancer as benign and my research corroborated that.

20 months later that had risen to 20 out of 24 cores most at 40%. Gleason 9(4+5).

I was quite alarmed by this rapid progression, especially as my PSA levels had remained relatively  stable. 

Unfortunately most of my surveillance was during COVID restrictions. A recommended 6 month follow up MRI scan was not conducted and it hampered follow up consultations. When I asked whether it was normal to find such progression during AS, I was told 30% of of patients would require radical treatment at some stage. I was also told there was a likelihood that the first biopsy had not revealed the true extent of the disease.

On reflection I suppose I was unlucky. Perhaps the first TRUS biopsy had missed the most cancerous areas - unlucky. Perhaps had the follow up 6 month MRI scan not been cancelled, it may have shown disease progression - unlucky. Poor consultations and communications due to COVID restrictions - unlucky. Being in the 30% that need radical treatment during AS - unlucky.

But I'm still  much luckier than many others. 👍

Edited by member 28 Dec 2023 at 14:57  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 14:05

Hi all

Has anybody else suffered with real fatigue after diagnosis? To be honest it started a few months ago before I found out about this illness, but it appears to be getting worse. Chronic tiredness most of the time, even waking up after a good 8 hours sleep and just wanting to go back to bed. Brain fog, lack of concentration, no enthusiasm for anything or anyone. I recognise the symptoms of stress here (not too surprising) but the relentless tiredness is not something I was expecting or am familiar with?

Ian.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 21:37

Hi all

Ian.

Evening Ian.

I've experienced extreme fatigue, lack of concentration, impatience and anger. Unlike your good self I cannot remember having a solid 8 hours kip for years. I don't know if these symptoms are physically or psychologically connected with the disease.

Adrian

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 21:51

Hi all

Ian.

Macmillan produces a really helpful guide to the emotional impact of having cancer. All the symptoms you describe are mentioned by Macmillan - having low mood, anxiety or depression is very common when diagnosed with a serious illness. You should see some improvement once you become accustomed to the diagnosis and establish a new normal

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 20:45

Well, I guess I’m in for a stressful Christmas after all. I had my first 3 monthly PSA check on Monday, and was expecting to have the results show up on the nhs app by now. No joy though. I suspect it will now be into the new year. My previous test results, through the diagnosis stage, all showed within a couple of days. Does anybody else on AS know if it’s normal form for them not to follow this pattern?

Ian.

User

Although everything is automated and electronic, it still needs your GP to approve publishing to the NHS app. During the Christmas period that could be the hold up.

Dave

User

Ey up mate.

I was wondering if you'd got any news.

I'm so disappointed you didn't get your results. It seems cruel to leave you not knowing over the Xmas period.

I've had PSA checks for years and years and used to get so frustrated waiting for the results. Surely the medical profession realise how important they are for patients.

I've spent hours on the phone trying to get results, often only to be told by the person who eventually answers,  that they are not qualified to give them.

Just recently I've had blood tests at my GP's who's on System online, and managed to get the results within a day or two.

I find it inexcusable that there isn't some protocol in force to give cancer patients their results asap.

Try to put it to the back of your mind and enjoy the festive season as best you can.

Adrian

Edited by member 22 Dec 2023 at 21:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 22:11

Thanks mate

Yeah, they persuaded me to get tested at the hospital so my consultant would see the results quicker! Maybe I’ll use the GP next time.

You have a good Christmas too 👍

Ian.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 10:02

Assuming you were tested at Addenbrookes ( I use the drive thru on Newmarket Road and will go there again in early January for my next 6 monthly check), I am surprised that your results are not showing. Mine show the same day, often within a couple of hours of me having the blood extracted, though, that said, in the early days of me being tested there was a delay as the results had to be cleared. That happened a couple of times before reverting to the almost immediate availability. Perhaps worth a phone call to your hospital contact to explain that you will be on tenterhooks over Christmas if you cannot see your latest PSA score?

Ivan

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 11:00

Hi Ivan

I was tested at Stamford Hospital. I tried calling the specialist nurses there but no response yet. Hopefully they’ll call back, but it won’t be before Wednesday now.

Not to worry.

Have a good Christmas mate!

Ian.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 13:09

Hi Harty

Agree with what others have said, get rid, as until its out and they have diced and sliced the biopsies are an indication of grade/stage etc.  After removal, the grading and staging can go up or down.  My OT had his surgery at Addenbrookes (robotic) and will be 2 years post op in March.  If you have any questions, happy to help.  Best wishes.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 13:13

As Ivan has said the blood results usually show the same day through 'My Chart' (which helps with the anxiety in my case).  My OH has his bloods done at the Drive Through - its a great service.  Hope you get your results pronto.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2023 at 19:35

PSA result is finally in and it’s risen to 6.8. So far It’s been 5.2,  5.9 and now 6.8. Going to sleep on it, but probably roll the dice again and see what happens in March. Hope you all had a good Christmas!

Ian.

Edited by member 27 Dec 2023 at 19:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Dec 2023 at 21:24

PSA result is finally in and it’s risen to 6.8. So far It’s been 5.2,  5.9 and 6.8

Hi Ian,

I'm disappointed to see a continued rise.

I know I must sound like a cracked record  but as a friend, I feel compelled to, once again, retell my AS story. It occurred during COVID restrictions which may have slightly impeded monitoring procedures, but in less than twenty months, my cancer had progressed from PSA 5.6  Gleason 6(3+3) only 2 out of 15 cores cancerous (only 5% and 10%) T2c, Grade 1; to PSA 6.6, Gleason 9(4+5), 40% cancerous in 20 out of 24 cores, T3a. Grade 5.

After my first MRI scan and biopsy I was told, like you, that there were reasonable safety margins, yet 20 months later they found extraproststic extension the capsule had been breached.

If your consultant thinks it's safe to continue for another 3 months, great stuff, but remember that conflicts with the advice of another one who appeared more in favour of surgery. 

Your initial biopsy was, on the face of it, worse than mine. Your tumour(s) were bigger than mine, you had more positive cores and there was confusion over whether you were Gleason 6 or 7.

Knowing what I know now, I think if I were you, I'd be asking for another opinion as to whether AS was still deemed appropriate. If so, as well as regular PSA checks, I would also ask for follow up MRI and if applicable another biopsy, within a year from your first one.

Perhaps, my first biopsy missed something or maybe I was just  unlucky that my disease progressed so rapidly. However it was very unsettling to be told how extensive and aggressive the disease had become, and that it may have already spread else where. I would never want you to be in that dreadful position.

Your clinicians are obviously far more knowlegeable than me but I've  experienced the flaws of AS and feel justified in warning you about them.

Sorry if I've rambled on and told you things that you'd probably not really want to hear, but proper friends sometimes have to do that.

To sum up, I'd say if there is a general consensus that AS is an option, and you chose it,  please ensure that you are monitored correctly. Don't be palmed off with just 3 monthly PSA checks and telephonic consultations. Insist you have other procedures to ensure your safety.

Best of luck mate. 

Adrian.

Edited by member 28 Dec 2023 at 10:05  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 09:28

Morning Ian

If it was me I would want to come off AS and start treatement. I did just that when my PSA score was still rising after around 4 months on AS. And if it was me, I would opt for surgery. As you know I did just that and although after my prostate was removed and sliced and diced my Gleason score stayed the same (3+4=7, with less than 5% being grade 4) my staging was increased from T2a to T3a (because the cancer was found to be bulging out from the prostate).

Ivan

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 12:31

This thread started with a post about a marginal decision between treatment and AS. I always err on the side of minimal intervention and keep a close eye on things in such a situation. I think the argument for radical treatment is getting stronger. I do have two friends on active surveillance and their PSAs both jump around between about 10 and 15, so you PSA may come down at the next test, but I think you need to keep a very close eye on this, possibly with MRI scan rather than just PSA test.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 15:09

Thanks guys. I think I will leave things for 12 more weeks and see what happens in March. If I get 3 increases in a row, then to my mind that rules out coincidence or quirky results.

Ive already had a second opinion (Adrian) on my diagnosis, which is what put me on AS in the first place. I think if I ask for a third they may have a sense of humour failure.

My original consultant, who said it needed to be treated, has concurred with the Cambridge team for now, and agrees with AS. 
Another rise will tell my simple mind that things are growing, and won’t stop growing until removed or deactivated. I shall find out on or around my 60th birthday, so may be celebrating with a change of plan 👍

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 15:25
There is always the possibility that the rise is down to infection / inflammation - the rise is too quick to be behaving like a normal 3+3 adenocarcinoma. however, your first consultant's initial advice was to have it treated and in September you were minded to get rid of it so, to my mind, you are probably going to make that decision in 12 weeks regardless of the PSA score? AS doesn't seem to be working well for you at the moment.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2023 at 18:26

Thanks Lyn. I won’t get it treated if I can safely leave it, as I am keen to postpone the obvious side effects of radical treatment for as long as I can to be honest, certainly whilst I am still working. Otherwise yes, I’d have got them to remove the thing when first diagnosed. I am a bit concerned at the rate of rise though, especially knowing what Adrian and Ivan experienced with their AS adventures. For now though, it’s back to the waiting game. You’re right though, I’m not finding it very easy to deal with.

Ian.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 01:33
Might be worth asking your GP to add infection markers to the next PSA test

User
Posted 29 Dec 2023 at 12:33

'I am a bit concerned at the rate of rise though,.........'

Just a thought on the rate of rise of PSA: The rate of rise of PSA rather than its absolute value may be quite important in assessing whether to treat the cancer or not. Before my diagnosis and treatment I was having my PSA checked every year and over a couple of years I noticed that its rate of rise had changed significantly although it was still within my age range. When I mentioned this to my GP several times she kept saying that my PSA was 'within the range expected for my age'; I don't think she understood what I meant by 'rate of rise'! So I bypassed her and consulted a urologist privately (health insurance). He agreed with me, carried out a biopsy, MRI and prostatectomy, all within a period of three weeks. My wife says that my anxiety and paranoia for once was a useful characteristic of my personality!

ps This message has a blue highlight! I don't know why.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2023 at 12:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 14:56

Well I'm glad my hospital are on top of the game with Active Surveillance. I had my PSA test mid December. Today I finally received a letter from the Consultant, marked urgent, dictated 20th December but not typed until 13th Jan! It basically says I should get tested again in 3 months - mid April (bear in mind the review was done mid December) then as a follow up action it confirms I should be reviewed in the virtual clinic in mid May. Luckily the blood test forms enclosed state collection needs to be by mid March, so at least one out of the three dates was correct. Doesn't inspire much confidence...

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 15:07

Hi Ian,

My first consultation was 17th December 2020, the letter summarising it was typed on 11th January, 2021. This was at the height of COVID restrictions.

Keep them on their toes, mate. 🙂 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 15:21

Hi folks

Ian.

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 15:35  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 17:44

Hi Ian,

The histology of my removed prostate revealed perineural invasion. I emailed my consultant's secretary to ask what it meant, she contacted him for me but I never got a clear reply. I'll ask him direct at my next telephonic consultation in mid February. I suspect it isn't good news. I think it means cancer cells were found surrounding or growing alongside a nerve fibre within the prostate. Apparently in my case this can increase the chance of recurrence.

It also showed extraprostatic extension, (I think that means it had breached the prostate capsule) but no extraprostatic perineural invasion ??? 

All Double Dutch to me.

As for your other points I haven't got a clue mate.

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 17:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 20:57

this is one of the reasons my husband decided against AS, I am worried sick about the risks of damage from RT but equally worried about delays with AS and spread as contact with CNS is as hard as contacting Robbie Williams 🤦‍♀️ not helped by conflicting MRI and biopsy. CNS called Wednesday saying she’d had a message he wanted to talk - he left the message for a call back two months ago … 

it’s hard to know what’s best. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 21:02

Hi Harty17/21L,

I can only pass on what I understand about " Crib" (Cribiform Morphology).  I was diagnosed with this from my own Histology Report (i.e. after surgical removal).  It seems to mean that, under the microscope, the cancer shows a different pattern to the standard form, and this is often indicative of a possibly more aggressive cancer.

I can't help at all with your other queries - sorry.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 15:35

Hi everyone.  This has been an interesting thread so I hope you don't mind if I jump in.  My husband (just turned 70 on the 18th) was given his diagnosis a week ago.  For a few years now he has been on Tamsulosin for an enlarged prostate so had regular PSA checks.  February 2023 it was 5.1 and then late November it increased to 6.1.  He was then sent for MRI and with that showing PIRADS 4 (organ confined) had the usual biopsy. They took 20 cores.  Basically we were told 'intermediate risk prostate cancer', multifocal disease predominantly Gleason 3+3=6 with one single area Gleason 3+4=7.  All cores less than 5% which sounded okay but my concern was ALL of the cores showed cancer.   The consultant gave us the options of surgery or radiotherapy with HT.  I could tell that my husband was already thinking 'get rid' so I asked the consultant what would he choose and he said surgery. 

Anyway our Hospital has now transferred all his details to Addenbrookes so it will be interesting to see if the next consultant shares the same view or tries to offer us a different form of treatment.   Whatever, I think my husband is definitely set on surgery and as much as he is not looking forward to it, understandably, he very much wants to give himself the best chance of a long life without the disease that he can - as do I.

Edited by moderator 20 Jan 2024 at 18:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 16:03

If it is of any help, I had surgery to remove my prostate at Addenbrookes late December 2021 and all the surgeons there have a great reputation for undertaking this particular procedure. My recovery has been virtually textbook, though because everybody is different, even with the same staging, nothing can be guaranteed.

My history,if interested can be found under my profile.

Ivan,

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 20:54

Hi folks

Ian.

I've only just seen this post. Crib/IDC is aggressive. Maybe this was a miniscule amount? Your PSA history from December was a bit steep. I'm not a medic I haven't seen your test results, so I don't know how to interpret this.

After your PSA next March, make sure you have a face to face meeting with the consultant.Take in your biopsy report, because you can be sure the consultant won't have his copy. Ask him to explain it to you, and confirm if you are still suitable for AS.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 12:01

So, my result this week is 7.9. So far I have:

April 2023 - 5.2 /  May 2023 - 5.9 / Dec 2023 - 6.8 / Mar 2024 - 7.9.

My consultant apparently thinks we should get one more test in 3 months, then if it is still rising I will be given another MRI and then possibly biopsy for re-staging.

I have asked for at least a telephone consultation with her to discuss these results, but am not sure if this is going to happen, as they are "very busy...!"

I think I'm resigned to the fact that I'm heading towards coming off AS and getting this thing dealt with, and I'm starting to think the sooner the better. Apparently it's not the actual number they are concerned about, but the continued rise/rate of rise.