I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Reoccurrence

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 22:45

Hi, I need some advice please. My OH had a radical prostatectomy in May 18. Since then his PSA readings have been 0.01 until this year. In March 23 it was 0.92, in June 23 it was 0.01 & now in Sept 23 it was 0.92. Is this a reoccurrence & if so what should he do & when? Abigail 

Abigail

User
Posted 12 Sep 2023 at 23:49

Abigail, I think you have a typo some where, the info in your profile doesn't match the above post. If your current reading is 0.02 then relax. If it really is 0.92 your hospital has not been looking after you very well. You would expect some salvage treatment around 0.2.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 01:50

I agree with Chris from your profile it looks like it used to bounce between <0.01 and 0.01 now it is bouncing between 0.01 and 0.02 . These are tiny figures and tiny changes, and it has taken five years to get this far. It is just about conceivable in another five years it may have got to a level where it would be called a recurrence. If it does get to that level a slow steady rise would be very consistent with a few cells in the prostate bed which could be easily zapped.

It looks like he is now on 3 monthly tests so the medics are quite aware this needs closer watching. I think you should relax and don't call a recurrence unless his medics call it one.

Dave

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 02:50

Sorry yes it is a typo, should be 0.02. Thank you Chris & Dave, that is reassuring. I know he's been fortunate to go 5 years without a reoccurrence so far being a T3a. His surgeon at CXH in London told us there was a 35% chance of reoccurrence. Best wishes to you both. 

Abigail

User
Posted 13 Sep 2023 at 07:39

Abigail, good to hear it was a typo. My staging etc was upgraded to T3 and I also had extra prostatic extension. If you look at the beginning of my profile you will see my PSA results. I was also told 30 percent chance of recurrence. My hospital discharge letter said if I breached the threshold of 0.1 I would be referred back to the consultant. 

I never actually left the care if urology, I was tested every three months until I breached 0.2 and then planning for salvage RT started.

The trigger value of 0.2 seems to have changed in recent years due to advances made PSMA scans.

Always be vigilant about getting his tests done and never accept "it's normal" ,get actual lab result if you can. I was told my PSA of 6.2 was normal a few weeks ago because the GP surgery don't know how to read a lab result.

Hope he is doing well in other areas, relax and enjoy life.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 Sep 2023 at 17:47

Chris, thank you for your informative reply. I read your profile, you've had a long & difficult journey with this awful disease. 

OH was on the Add Aspirin Trial for 4 years so had full blood tests every 3 months & then every 6 months until Sept 22 when he became anaemic. After tests they found only gastritis (fortunately) but they took him off the Trial. However, the oncologist at CXH has continued to monitor him. 

He is vigilant about getting his PSA etc done & are aware of GP's shortcomings. He is doing well in other areas, we live in the west country now, have retired & are generally enjoying life. 

Thanks for all the support you give on the site, it's a great help to many.

Take care

Regards Abigail 

Abigail