I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone on Zoladex complete Ride Across Britain

User
Posted 14 Sep 2023 at 15:46

I know there are quite a few keen cyclists on the forum.

I was wondering if anyone has completed Ride Across Britain, from Land's End to John o Groats, when on treatment for PC.

I'm a keen cyclist and used by bike riding to get as fit as i could last year before and after my op and then through Radiotherapy. Since last summer I've been on Zoladex 3 monthly injections. Until Jan this year my recovery was going well and my cycling combined with resistance training help me deal with the Zoladex side effects. I contracted Covid in january and ended up in hospital. I had a near miss and was home the following day. I had a persistent wheeze, which i put down to Covid. I had a heart check and it worked out i had three blockages in my main heart artery and had 3 stents fitted. I'm back on the road and feeling good. 

I've kept up my bike riding since my post-stent rehab and cycle an average 100-130 miles per week.

I turn 60 next year and am due to complete my ADT treatment next summer. I want to do something special as well and raising some money for Prostate Cancer UK - even though I haven't contributed much this forum has been invaluable as i navigated the journey from diagnosis to treatment. 

So, my mind has turned to to RAB....

Has anyone completed this whilst on Zoladex? heading out for 50 mile ride and returning home to sleep in my own bed is one thing. Doing 100+ miles per day for 9 days is something else! I'd appreciate any advice, comments from anyone who has undertaken this epic ride.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 20:26
Fbc, sorry no one seems to have replied - I guess no one who has been following the forum recently has done quite that challenge.

I am more of a leisure cyclist, but enjoy cycle touring holidays of a much more gentle nature than you are proposing, usually more in the 30-50 miles per day range and with someone else conveying luggage for us. While I was on Zoladex last year we did two such week-long trips without problems.

Obviously the end-to-end is the challenge everyone dreams of, and I confess to exploring possible itineries even if it probably isn't a realistic goal (I'm older than you and my wife has her own health issues). But I can't see why it can't be done, though it would be wise to be cautious about the daily mileage and build in a few rest days; I found my stamina reduced by Zoladex and perhaps a less macho level of determination.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 20:54

Thank you so much for the response