I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post Op news :-/

User
Posted 15 Sep 2023 at 12:42

Hi again. I am now 10 weeks post surgery and heading for my 51st birthday. Continence surprisingly good with just the odd leak when I am tired. Surgery was not nerve sparing so I am doing my penile rehab with the vacuum pump and hoping the creams will work rather than having to inject!!!!

The six-week post-op feedback wasn't much fun. I was 'upgraded' from G8 to G9 which was a bit chilling. Cancer had left my prostate and spread to nearby tissues and my margins were positive which wasn't what we wanted to hear. It was in the nerves on both side and in one of my lymph nodes - again, not what we were hoping for. Finally, my post-op PSA was 0.05 which we were told was 'above what we would want to see'.

I am now on the three-month PSA tests until I reach the magic 0.2. Does anyone out there have any idea of how long I will be in this kind of state of limbo? I am a realist and would just like to have a clue of what sort of timescale I am looking at before the next treatment might happen!!

User
Posted 15 Sep 2023 at 13:08
Sorry for the news TE - I also ended up as a G9 T3bN0M0 on the lab table but my PSA was <0.01 so not like yours.

It's difficult to estimate your next treatment (salvage RT) and you should schedule a PSA test after 3 months to see what it becomes - that should give you a better estimate of when they are likely to start SRT.

Best of luck going forward - it might be very slow growing so it could be some time and the results are pretty encouraging in the majority of cases.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2023 at 13:15

Thanks Steve - I have a PSA test scheduled for 17th November and then they will be every three months.

I guess it just feels like mega-waiting after all the waiting that has happened already!!!