I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA fluctuating?

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 13:31

Hi -- been on this rollercoaster, which I'm sure is familiar to everyone here, since a few days ago.

My recent history:

I'm 52 years old. Went for a general health checkup back in mid-2021 (aged 50) because I was getting concerned about getting up 2-3 times a night to urinate. DRE was normal. They gave me the whole talk about PSA tests being somewhat controversial with some, asked if I wanted one. I did. PSA level came back as 1.0. Went away reassured.

Over the following two years had annual DREs -- always normal. In fact two separate doctors commented that prostate was if anything "on the small side" -- which I found reassuring.

Last week (ie 2023) had another check up (I have private health insurance thru work) and another DRE which was normal - only to discover PSA had shot up to 9.7. A real bolt from the blue, cold bucket of water to the face sensation. I'm sure everyone's familiar with it. Not nice.

Urgent referral with urologist was made for the following day. He said we'd do an MRI followed in all likelihood by a biopsy. He did a DRE -- again all normal, he also commented that prostate is if anything a little small, also "maybe slightly firm on one side" but that was all. Also got me to do a urine flow test which seemed to show some kind of 'stop-start' issue with flow. Took another blood sample and also a urine sample and said he'd call when the results came back.

I spent the weekend Googling and managed to both reassure *and* terrify myself intermittently. I know there could be many causes, that the stats on PC generally are better than many other cancers... but also the fact that my prostate was described as 'small' yet was producing a PSA number so high -- which had spiked so fast -- really concerned me.

Urologist rang this morning to say my PSA has *dropped* to 6.5 and the urine test "to his surprise" shows some evidence of UTI (I haven't had symptoms beyond frequent peeing and *maybe* a very slight burning sensation about two weeks ago).

Urologist is sensibly v pragmatic and says he's "keeping an open mind", and that the MRI should go ahead as planned. He's prescribed antibiotics and we will retest PSA as well.

I'm clutching at any crumbs of comfort I can find obviously so I've taken this development as a "cautious positive". When I pressed the urologist (eager for as much reassurance as possible basically!) he said words to the effect again that he's keeping an open mind but I'm "maybe in a better position than last week".

To be clear, I'm not questioning whether the MRI is still necessary -- in fact I want to do it as soon as I can since I want as much clarity as possible. (Clarity is what we all crave). If I can avoid a biopsy then great, but again, if there's any chance one would be needed, I'm keen to do that too.

What I'm wondering is whether it's normal for a PSA to drop by so many points over a few days (the two blood tests were performed 3 days apart). Is this just a normal level of fluctuation or a sign of a reassuring fall? Could a mild UTI alone be responsible for the initial spike and then fall? Am I misguided to be clinging to positives here?

Sorry, I know there are many many possibilities -- just felt it helpful to discuss with people who've walked this path before. 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 19:41
Easier said than done I know but try to remain optimistic, time to be more concerned if you should be diagnosed with PCa and should this happen you could be so mildly affected that you wouldn't need treatment for some time if at all. You are in the system and if at some point treatment is called for, it seems likely it will be at a very early stage so you have a good chance of beating the disease.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 14:12
With cancer, your PSA goes in only one direction: upwards. Yours sounds like the classic symptoms of a UTI, which can cause a huge spike in PSA, and yes, to fall from 9 to 6 in a few days is perfectly normal for a UTI which is clearing up.

At your age you have a roughly 50% chance of having prostate cancer - it's just a part of the normal male aging process - but your symptoms don't sound like cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 15:03
I agree with Chris - jumping that quickly sounds almost certainly like a UTI. Absolutely go for the MRI as it should give you peace of mind and they will only do a biopsy if the MRI finds something. Based on what you have said, I doubt it will.
User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 15:08

Iain.

"He did a DRE -- again all normal, he also commented that prostate is if anything a little small, also "maybe slightly firm on one side" but that was all. Also got me to do a urine flow test which seemed to show some kind of 'stop-start' issue with flow. Took another blood sample and also a urine sample and said he'd call when the results came back."

Was the DRE and blood test at the same time or the same day.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 14:12
With cancer, your PSA goes in only one direction: upwards. Yours sounds like the classic symptoms of a UTI, which can cause a huge spike in PSA, and yes, to fall from 9 to 6 in a few days is perfectly normal for a UTI which is clearing up.

At your age you have a roughly 50% chance of having prostate cancer - it's just a part of the normal male aging process - but your symptoms don't sound like cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 15:03
I agree with Chris - jumping that quickly sounds almost certainly like a UTI. Absolutely go for the MRI as it should give you peace of mind and they will only do a biopsy if the MRI finds something. Based on what you have said, I doubt it will.
User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 15:08

Iain.

"He did a DRE -- again all normal, he also commented that prostate is if anything a little small, also "maybe slightly firm on one side" but that was all. Also got me to do a urine flow test which seemed to show some kind of 'stop-start' issue with flow. Took another blood sample and also a urine sample and said he'd call when the results came back."

Was the DRE and blood test at the same time or the same day.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 18:23

Hi Chris - first of all thank you so much for responding. On the Tuesday visit (general checkup), I had a blood taken first, followed later by a DRE. This was the one that gave the 9.7 result.

On the Friday visit (urologist), the DRE was maybe 30mins prior to the second blood test. This then turned out to be 6.5.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 18:57

Hi Cheshire Chris  -- sorry - I didn't realise there were two different people called Chris responding to me!

"... to fall from 9 to 6 in a few days is perfectly normal for a UTI which is clearing up."

OK, this is reassuring; obviously I'm still concerned (MRI is this Friday), partly because the UTI seems like it's mild at best (the peeing at night thing has been going on for a while so wasn't a 'new' symptom), and partly because as I understand it, a UTI could be caused by an underlying prostate issue in the first place.

And of course 6.5 is obviously still higher than it should be for my age. Not sure why the doc emphasised how surprised he was to find evidence of a UTI at all (he mentioned this twice!) but then I'm probably over-thinking every crumb of information I can find.

I'd also just like to add how hugely helpful it is to read through these forums and find so many informative, quietly caring posts from those such as yourself who have been through all of this. Given the amount of bewildering information out there, it's an oasis. In a sane world you'd be rewarded for this as a public service. Thank you. 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 19:41
Easier said than done I know but try to remain optimistic, time to be more concerned if you should be diagnosed with PCa and should this happen you could be so mildly affected that you wouldn't need treatment for some time if at all. You are in the system and if at some point treatment is called for, it seems likely it will be at a very early stage so you have a good chance of beating the disease.
Barry