Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Planning for my dad's treatment

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 18:23

Good evening to you all!

Following his diagnosis of prostatic hyperplasia 6 years ago, my dad has been monitoring his PSA on a regular basis, which fluctuated between 6 and11, but shot up to 20 this year. We were told by his consultant that MRI scan suggested 90% chance of cancer, and it looks like early stage, within the prostate. 

His biopsy results are pending, and my dad (like all dads) tries to be strong and calm in front of his family, but I know that he is worried about the unknown (understandably) and I'm hoping to do my bit to support him as much as possible.

If it turns out that active treatment is necessary, I'm hoping to arrange for his treatment at the Royal Marsden as private patient.

1) I know we are still at the early stage of a potentially long road, but may I ask if anyone has any experience, diagnosis or treatment-wise, with the Royal Marsden (Sutton)? How long did the whole process take? Treatment plans? Experience with the consultants/surgeons etc.? Any insights and stories are appreciated. 

2) I'm also thinking about how I could best support him during this journey while giving him space. What do you think really helped in supporting you OH/dad? Or what help from your family do you really value/hope to get?

Thanks a lot in advance.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 01:08

Yes giving him space is pretty important. If you do get to going to meetings with him then taking notes or recording can be helpful. There can be a lot to take in and a lot of numbers. Coming out of a meeting and knowing the number 3 was mentioned, but not knowing if it was Gleason 3, stage 3, PSA 3, or 3 lymph nodes is not too helpful.

Don't be in too much of a rush to go private the NHS can be just as good as private for cancer care. 

Dave

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 21:50
I can't help with the Marsden specifically but why not get him to join us directly? There are literally loads of us walking the same path and at various stages and we are a really friendly group and he may be able to open up to us with that anonymity that comes with being online?
User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 07:15

I can’t comment on the Royal Marsden but I can’t complain about the treatment I’ve had from the NHS.

With regard to support, family support is very important, but the support of others in the same boat as your dad IMHO is invaluable  in getting through this ordeal. I’m always banging on about Maggies but it’s only because it has been transformational in the way I have dealt with this disease. If you have a Maggies Centre close to you go in with your dad and speak to them and try and encourage him to join a support group. Or find out what other support groups are in your area, his CNS should be able to advise on that.

Good Luck,  and your dad is very lucky having you to help him through this.

Derek

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 13:39
I would honestly suggest NOT going private for cancer treatment; this is one thing that the NHS is a lot better at than the private sector.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 15:26
NHS better really? If you can afford it private is always better because you get to choose the best in whatever field
User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 16:02

My GP was quite insistent on being referred to the NHS. His comment was, sprained knee, twisted shoulder, private is great. Cancer diagnosis, you want to be on the NHS. He did refer me privately too, but the NHS appointments came through first, so I went that route.

Now that I support others, I have seen why this is. I've seen many cases where someone is referred to a private urologist for diagnosis, and then has a prostatectomy, which fails, and was pretty likely to fail given the diagnosis. This happens because there was no MDT invoved which is mandatory on the NHS, so no one was overseeing the private urologist.

So my suggestion would be always go with a diagnosis where an MDT is used, which is always the case on the NHS, and it might happen if you go privately in an NHS hospital. If you are interested in private diagnostic or treatments, make that clear - you can have these even if you are diagnosed on the NHS. Your NHS consultant isn't allowed to mention private procedures unless you specifically ask, in which case they can. I did offer to buy a PSMA PET scan (before they were available on the NHS) for the MDT, and I also asked if there were better treatments available privately (answer: you can chose when and where you're treated, you'll have a private room, I [consultant] get paid more, but the treatment is identical).

Also, if you go completely privately, all the support services are usually missing (no CNS, no ED or continence support, no holistic needs analysis or followup, etc). In theory you can still get those on the NHS (except the HNA), but getting back on that train after it left the station is pretty damn difficult.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2023 at 16:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 18:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
NHS better really? If you can afford it private is always better because you get to choose the best in whatever field

But it can lead to major issues with follow-up support, unless you're willing to pay for everything privately in perpetuity. There have been a number of reports here about people having private treatment, and then being unable to access follow-up support services. 

Reading the rest of this thread, this is not an issue in this particular case because the patient is not in the UK, but in general I'd always advocate going with the NHS for cancer treatment. 

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 21:50
I can't help with the Marsden specifically but why not get him to join us directly? There are literally loads of us walking the same path and at various stages and we are a really friendly group and he may be able to open up to us with that anonymity that comes with being online?
User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 01:08

Yes giving him space is pretty important. If you do get to going to meetings with him then taking notes or recording can be helpful. There can be a lot to take in and a lot of numbers. Coming out of a meeting and knowing the number 3 was mentioned, but not knowing if it was Gleason 3, stage 3, PSA 3, or 3 lymph nodes is not too helpful.

Don't be in too much of a rush to go private the NHS can be just as good as private for cancer care. 

Dave

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 07:15

I can’t comment on the Royal Marsden but I can’t complain about the treatment I’ve had from the NHS.

With regard to support, family support is very important, but the support of others in the same boat as your dad IMHO is invaluable  in getting through this ordeal. I’m always banging on about Maggies but it’s only because it has been transformational in the way I have dealt with this disease. If you have a Maggies Centre close to you go in with your dad and speak to them and try and encourage him to join a support group. Or find out what other support groups are in your area, his CNS should be able to advise on that.

Derek

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 13:39
I would honestly suggest NOT going private for cancer treatment; this is one thing that the NHS is a lot better at than the private sector.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 15:26
User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 15:54

Thank you Steve. I am amazed by the level of support, wisdom and empathy shown by you and the others in this community, and how I wish my dad could speak English so that he could become a member and find the support he needs here. 

Hope you are coping well and continue to stay well. :) 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 15:59

Thanks for the tips Dave. It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment, so recording the session is definitely a great idea!  

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 16:02

My GP was quite insistent on being referred to the NHS. His comment was, sprained knee, twisted shoulder, private is great. Cancer diagnosis, you want to be on the NHS. He did refer me privately too, but the NHS appointments came through first, so I went that route.

Now that I support others, I have seen why this is. I've seen many cases where someone is referred to a private urologist for diagnosis, and then has a prostatectomy, which fails, and was pretty likely to fail given the diagnosis. This happens because there was no MDT invoved which is mandatory on the NHS, so no one was overseeing the private urologist.

So my suggestion would be always go with a diagnosis where an MDT is used, which is always the case on the NHS, and it might happen if you go privately in an NHS hospital. If you are interested in private diagnostic or treatments, make that clear - you can have these even if you are diagnosed on the NHS. Your NHS consultant isn't allowed to mention private procedures unless you specifically ask, in which case they can. I did offer to buy a PSMA PET scan (before they were available on the NHS) for the MDT, and I also asked if there were better treatments available privately (answer: you can chose when and where you're treated, you'll have a private room, I [consultant] get paid more, but the treatment is identical).

Also, if you go completely privately, all the support services are usually missing (no CNS, no ED or continence support, no holistic needs analysis or followup, etc). In theory you can still get those on the NHS (except the HNA), but getting back on that train after it left the station is pretty damn difficult.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2023 at 16:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 16:10

Derek

Thank you for your kind words Derek! Hope you are doing well.

I just found out there is a Maggie's in our area! It's so assuring to know that this support is easily accessible. In the past, I myself have benefited greatly from support groups, but in the country my dad lives in, things are slightly different, and that's one of the reasons that we are planning to pay for treatments here where he is better supported and won't feel like being left alone to fight.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 16:33

Best wishes,

Chris

My experience with the NHS is mostly good. Speed is the biggest problem though, but I have read many stories where if important care is needed, the NHS delivers it with good speed and quality. It's great to know that you are happy with the care received. Hope they continue to look after you well. :)

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 16:43

Thank you, Andy, for such invaluable insights! I agree that going private doesn't guarantee better treatment, quite the opposite in some cases.

Our problem is that my dad is not a tax payer/resident in this country, so he has no access to the free and wonderful NHS services (which is fair).

So, our only option is to go private at a hospital that offers private care. The Marsden promised a MDT with presonalised plans, so I will double check with them if this is indeed the case, and will also check on the CNS, ED and HNA part (thank you, Andy!).

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 18:49

But it can lead to major issues with follow-up support, unless you're willing to pay for everything privately in perpetuity. There have been a number of reports here about people having private treatment, and then being unable to access follow-up support services. 

Reading the rest of this thread, this is not an issue in this particular case because the patient is not in the UK, but in general I'd always advocate going with the NHS for cancer treatment. 

Chris