I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Its hard waiting for biopsy results

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 21:39

I'm going in tomorrow for my biopsy results.

My brother and Grandad have prostate cancer and I was referred after having a slightly increased PSA.

I've had an MRI which showed a slightly increased prostate and a change to the bottom of the prostate. 

I got a call on Monday morning, following the MDT meeting last Friday. I asked the nurse for the results and she said we will discuss them when we meet.

They don't beleive it is cancer but can't be sure until they get the biopsy results.

This has all happened over a month, which is an amazing service.

Waiting is hard!

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 21:52

Good luck. If it does turnout to be more serious here is a list of questions to ask.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29667-D-day-tomorrow#post285177

Dave

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 08:31

Try not to worry mate, take every day as it comes. If it's bad news it's so treatable, especially if you catch it early as it sounds like it is with low PSA.

Agree it's a whirlwind, I got diagnosed at the ripe old age of 52 with prostate cancer May5th had prostatectomy July 26th. My last psa pre opp were 4.4

Hope all goes well Mark 👍👍

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 20:16

Unfortunately I was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday!

I should be having surgery to remove my prostate in about 8 weeks time which should cure my cancer.

Not the news I wanted but I feel very lucky that the cancer will be gone very soon.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 20:24

it comes as a shock to all of us Mark but now that you’ve made your treatment decision you should start to feel better. It’s good that it’s being done so soon, you’ve got 8 weeks to get yourself as fit as you can and also get doing these Pelvic Floor Exercises. I’m not speaking from personal experience as I was not offered surgery but what I’ve learned from others who have taken the surgery route.

Good luck with your treatment.

Derek

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 21:11
Have a read of my profile Mark as I had the RARP on May 12th. Far better and easier that I anticipated. Only painful part was the shoulder pain and when the catheter pipework was swinging. I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised as to how straightforward it was. Small scars heal quickly - incontinence takes a few weeks to overcome but it's controllable.

Ask whatever questions you want as there are plenty of us who have been through the RARP - gotta luv Da Vinci :)

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 21:15

Yes it is a major op. This may not sound relevant, but bear with me. We had a post a while back from a post op trans-sexual, so I had to do some research to answer her question. I guess I was surprised that for a sex change operation where lots of bits are being cut and moved around, they don't say 'oh we may as well whip this (prostate) out whilst we are at it'. I guess prostatectomy is more complicated(different) than a sex change. Glad you have made a choice. Take it easy on the recovery, hernias happen to people who don't appreciate how major the surgery is.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 12:48
Yes, they have to cut the internal abdominal muscles in order to get to the prostate, and that's what takes the time to heal, and you don't realise how many things those muscles are used for until they aren't there!

I had an operation which involved cutting the same muscles, and my experience was that it was around 4 weeks until I could drive short distances (the "rules" are that you shouldn't drive until you can safely do an emergency stop), but a good 3-6 months until I could resume strenuous physical activities. Take it easy, and listen when your body says "that's too much".

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 16:25
No, I had robotic surgery, and was indeed up and walking the next day, but still I couldn't lift or push anything of any significant weight for a month due to cut muscles.

Chris

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 20:42

Hi Mark,

Sorry that you've had to join this club, but it's good that you've been offered choices of treatment. 

As Decho has already said, you could make good use of your 8 week waiting period for surgery by starting to do Pelvic Floor Exercises (also called Kegel exercises) NOW.  They should stand you in good stead post-surgery.

Best of luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 22:54

Yes it is a major surgery and you know the risks involved as I did 12 years ago. Like a lot of things in life luck plays a big part in our lives. My surgery was difficult, recovery was not too bad although my catheter had to be  in for over five weeks. I did recover be it with not 100% continence and ED which is more due to my age than the surgery. However, my wife and I are still enjoying our life in all its aspects and able to enjoy watching our grand children growing up. Try to be positive and with luck all will be well,

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 21:52

Good luck. If it does turnout to be more serious here is a list of questions to ask.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29667-D-day-tomorrow#post285177

Dave

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 08:31

Try not to worry mate, take every day as it comes. If it's bad news it's so treatable, especially if you catch it early as it sounds like it is with low PSA.

Agree it's a whirlwind, I got diagnosed at the ripe old age of 52 with prostate cancer May5th had prostatectomy July 26th. My last psa pre opp were 4.4

Hope all goes well Mark 👍👍

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 20:16

Unfortunately I was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday!

I should be having surgery to remove my prostate in about 8 weeks time which should cure my cancer.

Not the news I wanted but I feel very lucky that the cancer will be gone very soon.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 20:24

it comes as a shock to all of us Mark but now that you’ve made your treatment decision you should start to feel better. It’s good that it’s being done so soon, you’ve got 8 weeks to get yourself as fit as you can and also get doing these Pelvic Floor Exercises. I’m not speaking from personal experience as I was not offered surgery but what I’ve learned from others who have taken the surgery route.

Good luck with your treatment.

Derek

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 20:26

I'm having a radical prostatectomy. It sounds like a fairly major operation with an approx 8 week recovery?

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has been through this.

Thanks

Mark

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 21:11
Have a read of my profile Mark as I had the RARP on May 12th. Far better and easier that I anticipated. Only painful part was the shoulder pain and when the catheter pipework was swinging. I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised as to how straightforward it was. Small scars heal quickly - incontinence takes a few weeks to overcome but it's controllable.

Ask whatever questions you want as there are plenty of us who have been through the RARP - gotta luv Da Vinci :)

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 21:15

Yes it is a major op. This may not sound relevant, but bear with me. We had a post a while back from a post op trans-sexual, so I had to do some research to answer her question. I guess I was surprised that for a sex change operation where lots of bits are being cut and moved around, they don't say 'oh we may as well whip this (prostate) out whilst we are at it'. I guess prostatectomy is more complicated(different) than a sex change. Glad you have made a choice. Take it easy on the recovery, hernias happen to people who don't appreciate how major the surgery is.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 12:48
Yes, they have to cut the internal abdominal muscles in order to get to the prostate, and that's what takes the time to heal, and you don't realise how many things those muscles are used for until they aren't there!

I had an operation which involved cutting the same muscles, and my experience was that it was around 4 weeks until I could drive short distances (the "rules" are that you shouldn't drive until you can safely do an emergency stop), but a good 3-6 months until I could resume strenuous physical activities. Take it easy, and listen when your body says "that's too much".

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 16:19

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Chris

That sounds like you had open surgery rather than the robot assisted with the Da Vinci?

The RARP is basically keyhole surgery involving 4 small 8mm incisions and a slightly longer 4cm cut above the belly button through which the prostate is removed. There is hardly any cutting of muscles involved and you are back up and walking (carefully) the next day.

Open surgery is of course much more invasive.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 16:25
No, I had robotic surgery, and was indeed up and walking the next day, but still I couldn't lift or push anything of any significant weight for a month due to cut muscles.

Chris

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 20:42

Hi Mark,

Sorry that you've had to join this club, but it's good that you've been offered choices of treatment. 

As Decho has already said, you could make good use of your 8 week waiting period for surgery by starting to do Pelvic Floor Exercises (also called Kegel exercises) NOW.  They should stand you in good stead post-surgery.

Best of luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 22:54

Yes it is a major surgery and you know the risks involved as I did 12 years ago. Like a lot of things in life luck plays a big part in our lives. My surgery was difficult, recovery was not too bad although my catheter had to be  in for over five weeks. I did recover be it with not 100% continence and ED which is more due to my age than the surgery. However, my wife and I are still enjoying our life in all its aspects and able to enjoy watching our grand children growing up. Try to be positive and with luck all will be well,

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate