Notification

Error

Rapid rise and fall of PSA

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 21:28

Has anyone experienced this?

june 2022 psa 3, July 2023 psa 20.15 , this week 2.5

pirads 5 and a ‘suspicious area ‘ 

awaiting biopsy results but wonder what could cause such extreme fluctuations given there’s been no treatment?

anyone with pirad 5 and benign?

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 21:58
UTIs can seriously influence PSA numbers.

Not suggesting that there isn't some PCa present but a falling PSA is indicative of a UTI that you may have had in 2022 that may or may not have cleared up. You will need to wait for the biopsy results to be certain unfortunately.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 22:35

Yes MRI will show something in prostate but it's very hard to know whether it is inflammation or cancer. We have had people post here with pirads 5 and benign, don't expect a post from them, they are now getting on with their lives not hanging around here.

Dave

User
No, the MRI will have seen an area of interest that gives the surgeon a target for the biopsy. Only the biopsy can give a decent estimate of the state of any PCa (and even that is not definitive - that happens when the prostate is sliced up in the histology lab).

PCa is slow growing and very treatable - most me die with prostate cancer, not because of it so don't panic even though that is easier said than done - but lots of us have been through it :)

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 09:05
I think you will find a few messages about this - search for UTI and it may find some posts.

Rapid rise due to UTI is common as is the drop once it has cleared up but of course there could be an underlying PCa although your initial PSA of 3 and latest of 2.5 would indicate that it is not far advanced. Remember that PIRADS is only a measure of SUSPECTED cancer and some men have benign causes of MRI visible lesions such as inflammation or benign nodular hyperplasia.

Just hang tight until the biopsy results arrive

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 21:58
UTIs can seriously influence PSA numbers.

Not suggesting that there isn't some PCa present but a falling PSA is indicative of a UTI that you may have had in 2022 that may or may not have cleared up. You will need to wait for the biopsy results to be certain unfortunately.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 22:24
Thank you.

Would this be the reason for the suspicious area on MRI?

Waiting is awful!

User

Yes MRI will show something in prostate but it's very hard to know whether it is inflammation or cancer. We have had people post here with pirads 5 and benign, don't expect a post from them, they are now getting on with their lives not hanging around here.

Dave

User
No, the MRI will have seen an area of interest that gives the surgeon a target for the biopsy. Only the biopsy can give a decent estimate of the state of any PCa (and even that is not definitive - that happens when the prostate is sliced up in the histology lab).

PCa is slow growing and very treatable - most me die with prostate cancer, not because of it so don't panic even though that is easier said than done - but lots of us have been through it :)

User
Posted 21 Sep 2023 at 23:07

Hard not to worry with pirads 5 , but hopefully biopsy results won’t be too long. Such a lot of waiting between referral then tests then more tests and results.

Have read a lot on this forum but haven’t managed yet to find a similar case of rapid rise then similarly rapid fall of psa. 

have not been given antibiotics in case of infection. 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 09:05
I think you will find a few messages about this - search for UTI and it may find some posts.

Rapid rise due to UTI is common as is the drop once it has cleared up but of course there could be an underlying PCa although your initial PSA of 3 and latest of 2.5 would indicate that it is not far advanced. Remember that PIRADS is only a measure of SUSPECTED cancer and some men have benign causes of MRI visible lesions such as inflammation or benign nodular hyperplasia.

Just hang tight until the biopsy results arrive