I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

CT Scan and trapped wind

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 09:01

Hi all. I just failed my CT scan prior to radiotherapy due to trapped wind in my bowel, even though I had done copious poo earlier in the day and some more after being told to walk around for 15 minutes before returning to the scanner. However the problem persisted into the second scan attempt and I was sent home. I now have to take LAXIDO for 1 week prior to another attempted scan next week.

Did anyone have a similar experience and could anyone offer advise to help please? I think I eat a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruit. I don't drink alcohol or caffiene and I get regular exercise every day.

Thanks

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 19:19
The advice given to me was to avoid green vegetables as the most likely to provoke wind. Not sure what the basis of that is though.
User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:06
I can only speak surrounding RT etc only guessing similar circumstances re wind etc. Were advised that if necessary a diet change may be suggested if wind etc were to be a problem as certain fruit, veg, fibre rich foods do cause excess wind e g broccoli. So,sometimes,a good diet may be a hindrance but, this is said under the guidance for RT sessions, sometimes change of diet is not advisable. I would guess the CT scan people have come across this many times and reckon the laxative is the way to go.

W

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:41

I had that problem with my CT planning scan, walked round for 15 minutes but still nothing, so they asked me to use another enema, and as soon as I sat down on the loo….Bingo, I let out an enormous fart and the problem was solved. I never had that problem during the RT funnily enough.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 19:19
The advice given to me was to avoid green vegetables as the most likely to provoke wind. Not sure what the basis of that is though.
User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:06
I can only speak surrounding RT etc only guessing similar circumstances re wind etc. Were advised that if necessary a diet change may be suggested if wind etc were to be a problem as certain fruit, veg, fibre rich foods do cause excess wind e g broccoli. So,sometimes,a good diet may be a hindrance but, this is said under the guidance for RT sessions, sometimes change of diet is not advisable. I would guess the CT scan people have come across this many times and reckon the laxative is the way to go.

W

User
Posted 23 Sep 2023 at 19:41

I had that problem with my CT planning scan, walked round for 15 minutes but still nothing, so they asked me to use another enema, and as soon as I sat down on the loo….Bingo, I let out an enormous fart and the problem was solved. I never had that problem during the RT funnily enough.