Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise during salvage Radiotherapy

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 13:48

Hi

I am currently undergoing salvage radiotherapy with today being my 21st session.

After my 2nd session during a treatment review a blood test was undertaken and I noticed that my PSA has risen from 0.04 prior to any treatment to 0.05 after two sessions of radiotherapy.

Can anyone advise if this is normal during treatment or should I be concerned?

Thanks in anticipation of any repllies.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 18:55

A difference of 0.01 can be expected even when the same sample is  split and tested at the same time in the same lab. Why did you have the tests after the second session. I like to test before treatment and after treatment but not done it during treatment. 

One of our scholars likens the increase in PSA post RT to the death cry of the cells.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 19:00

Bear in mind how RT actually works. Cells are not killed directly; what RT does is to damage the DNA of all cells in the target area. Healthy cells can repair their DNA, but in cancer cells the repair mechanism is usually faulty and so the damaged cell eventually die, but “eventually” is the important word here - it doesn’t happen instantly. It can take up to 18 months for the cell to die.

Chris

Edited by member 22 Sep 2023 at 19:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 19:01

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I am not sure why the test was undertaken so quickly after treatment commenced it was done during a treatment review undertaken by a Macmillan nurse.

I guess I just need to wait for the result of the post treatment test, 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 21:40

Hi all 

I had a RALP op in March 23 

had a psa test straight after it was 0.01 then again in June it was the same, but my last one in September was 0.03 I have been told by my surgeon this is nothing to be concerned about but I am slightly worried 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 23:43

Hi Wilson it's early days yet, other bits of the body produce PSA. Officially no one is going to be concerned unless it breaches 0.1 and I think you may as well stick to the official view. You should be having PSA tests ever three months, that way if it does breach 0.1 you can see if it was a slow steady rise, or a sudden spike.

Dave