I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brachytherapy High psa

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 16:29

Hi gang just wondering what to expect as booked for Brachytherapy in few weeks followed by RT there’s a 2 week gap and should I continue or be able to work thro this plan also PSA 52 how come it’s localised I’ve had the scans and biopsy Gleston 3+4 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 20:16

You may well be in a similar position to me, where undetectable spread into the lymph nodes was suspected, resulting in a PSA significantly higher than would be expected from the biopsy results. Like you I had a G3+4 diagnosis and my PSA was in the 30s. Have you been told that you’re having “whole pelvis” RT to zap the lymph nodes and other surrounding structures?

You should be physically able to work through brachytherapy and RT, but RT takes a big chunk of the day.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 24 Sep 2023 at 20:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 20:20

You've only given a little of your diagnosis, but what you gave matches mine, and you've gone for same treatment as me (except my place did the brachytherapy after the external beam radiotherapy, but that makes no difference). Full details in my profile.

If the brachytherapy is HDR (High Dose Rate), you probably want to take the following week off just because you may need to use the toilet frequently and might leak, but this is usually temporary and recovers quickly. Many people work through the radiotherapy, although a small number may find they don't want to. You can get substantial fatigue during the second half of the radiotherapy and for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Wishing you well.

User
Posted 24 Sep 2023 at 20:58

Well if your diagnosis and treatment are similar to Andy's they must be similar to mine. My details in my profile. The HDR will require at least a couple of days off work, but it really is not a problem. The EBRT does take up time with travelling to hospital, waiting for treatment they are often running late, and travelling back from hospital. So it depends on if you work near the hospital or work from home, I decided not to work whilst having the EBRT.

A PSA of 52 is moderately high. If someone posts on here with a PSA less than 30 and say they are worried a metastatis I usually say it is unlikely, if the post with a PSA above 150 I usually say it is quite likely. Your figure is between those two, and obviously the medics have got more information than just a PSA number, if there is some undetectable spread then the EBRT will probably kill it.

Dave