I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Drainage bags at night

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 09:10

Hi, My dad had RP 2 days ago. We are doing ok with catheter care/drainage bags so far. Our only issue is at night. We are finding it difficult to place/secure the smaller drainage bag to the night bag in a way which is still comfortable for him or that doesn't kink the tube coming out of the bottom of the day bag, whilst ensuring it will be secure through the night. Any tips would be gratefully received. 

Many Thanks 

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 10:16

It's 5 years since I had a catheter, but I'm pretty sure at night time I ran the tube straight from end of the catheter to the night bag, without a leg bag atall. I may have strapped the tube to my thigh so if I rolled over the tube went with me rather than tugging on my penis.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 16:12
Yes, the night bag plugs into the day bag which then keeps its valve open. I placed the day bag on a box by the side of the bed so it was just below the height of the mattress and then placed the night bag on the floor (I know they say not to but it worked fine for me). Remember to keep the valves and connections 100% sterile - do not use your hands/fingers but use some sterile pads soaked in antiseptic solution. This isn't always made clear.

In the morning, simply close the tap on the day bag, remove the night bag to empty/clean and reattach the day bag to the leg.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 17:41

Hot potato, the catheter and bag is often called a closed system. Once attached the day or leg bag should stay attached for up to 7 days. After seven day the leg bag should be changed. For maximum infection control once anything is disconnected from the catheter it should be thrown away. As already said connect the long night bag tube to the leg/ day bag, make sure the valve is in the right position. After surgery I was given enough non reusable night bags so it could be changed every day. 

Since having a permanent catheter I have to make my drainable night bags last for seven days.

I always keep my leg bag on my leg, I attach the night bag to the leg bag tube and secure the long tube to my ankle with a strap. After surgery I wore pj bottoms to save any snagging. The advice is that the night bag should be supported from the top, but I have also let it lay of the floor without any issues.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 10:16

It's 5 years since I had a catheter, but I'm pretty sure at night time I ran the tube straight from end of the catheter to the night bag, without a leg bag atall. I may have strapped the tube to my thigh so if I rolled over the tube went with me rather than tugging on my penis.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 16:12
Yes, the night bag plugs into the day bag which then keeps its valve open. I placed the day bag on a box by the side of the bed so it was just below the height of the mattress and then placed the night bag on the floor (I know they say not to but it worked fine for me). Remember to keep the valves and connections 100% sterile - do not use your hands/fingers but use some sterile pads soaked in antiseptic solution. This isn't always made clear.

In the morning, simply close the tap on the day bag, remove the night bag to empty/clean and reattach the day bag to the leg.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2023 at 17:41

Hot potato, the catheter and bag is often called a closed system. Once attached the day or leg bag should stay attached for up to 7 days. After seven day the leg bag should be changed. For maximum infection control once anything is disconnected from the catheter it should be thrown away. As already said connect the long night bag tube to the leg/ day bag, make sure the valve is in the right position. After surgery I was given enough non reusable night bags so it could be changed every day. 

Since having a permanent catheter I have to make my drainable night bags last for seven days.

I always keep my leg bag on my leg, I attach the night bag to the leg bag tube and secure the long tube to my ankle with a strap. After surgery I wore pj bottoms to save any snagging. The advice is that the night bag should be supported from the top, but I have also let it lay of the floor without any issues.

Thanks Chris