Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How low can PSA go?

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 06:26

Hi

I feel that I have been on a fairly solitary journey with my prostate cancer. I opted for RT and HT. I am 12 months into the HT. 

I have read many posts on here but kept my powder dry. However, I am for some reason, all of a sudden, a little anxious and I wondered is PSA of 0.39 satisfactory after RT and a year of HT or should I hope for lower?

Rory

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 19:50
I don't think there is a concern with your post HT/RT PSA level, provided it stays below 2.5 - it will probably be lower than that, I think there can be a concern if the rise begins to accelerate - my own, following HT & RT in late 2019, slowly rose to 0.48 at the last test, it rose by approx 0.08 each 6 months. The onco, has no concerns about things so far.

Unlike removal by operation, we still have a partly healthy prostate, which will produce some PSA.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 07:35
More than satisfactory. My PSA never went lower than 1.2, and my oncologist said that he'd regard a nadir (low point) of 2 or less as an indication of successful treatment.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 08:41

Hi Rory,

Good to hear from a fellow HT/RT, I think we are in the minority on here…although I didn’t choose RT, it was chosen for me!

My PSA was 0.3 3 months after RT finished and a  year of HT and the Onco was ‘Quite Happy’ with that. What was your PSA at diagnosis, mine was 36. Your PSA will probably drop further although I was told not to panic if there were slight fluctuations.

How are you coping with HT. The RT was a breeze for me but the HT is a constant battle against side effects.

If you’re feeling solitary I can recommend you join a local support group such as Maggies.

All the best and keep in touch.

Derek

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 08:59
Hi Rory, my PSA took two years on HT/RT and chemo to get down to less than 0.05 or undetectable so keep going pal , it's moving in the right direction.
User
Posted 27 Sep 2023 at 18:35
Yes, whilst on HT and after RT, my psa was always around 0.1. My first 'proper' PSA level after finishing treatment was 0.5 which was 2018, its been between 0.35 & 0.5 since then. All deemed good so if it gets to 2.5 (i.e. 2 points above nadir) it'll be looked at.

Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 07:35
More than satisfactory. My PSA never went lower than 1.2, and my oncologist said that he'd regard a nadir (low point) of 2 or less as an indication of successful treatment.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 08:41

Hi Rory,

Good to hear from a fellow HT/RT, I think we are in the minority on here…although I didn’t choose RT, it was chosen for me!

My PSA was 0.3 3 months after RT finished and a  year of HT and the Onco was ‘Quite Happy’ with that. What was your PSA at diagnosis, mine was 36. Your PSA will probably drop further although I was told not to panic if there were slight fluctuations.

How are you coping with HT. The RT was a breeze for me but the HT is a constant battle against side effects.

If you’re feeling solitary I can recommend you join a local support group such as Maggies.

All the best and keep in touch.

Derek

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 08:59
Hi Rory, my PSA took two years on HT/RT and chemo to get down to less than 0.05 or undetectable so keep going pal , it's moving in the right direction.
User
Posted 27 Sep 2023 at 18:35
Yes, whilst on HT and after RT, my psa was always around 0.1. My first 'proper' PSA level after finishing treatment was 0.5 which was 2018, its been between 0.35 & 0.5 since then. All deemed good so if it gets to 2.5 (i.e. 2 points above nadir) it'll be looked at.

Peter

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 11:46

Derek

So sorry I never got back to you, I just didn't log in. I was PSA 11 so to be honest I was hoping for a lower drop. 

I have found the HT to be very rough. I have persistent hot flushes, like you I have experienced severe joint pain, although recently it reduced considerably, fingers crossed. Unlike you I have a ridiculously fat, immovable stomach.

Rory

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 19:50
I don't think there is a concern with your post HT/RT PSA level, provided it stays below 2.5 - it will probably be lower than that, I think there can be a concern if the rise begins to accelerate - my own, following HT & RT in late 2019, slowly rose to 0.48 at the last test, it rose by approx 0.08 each 6 months. The onco, has no concerns about things so far.

Unlike removal by operation, we still have a partly healthy prostate, which will produce some PSA.