Show search

Notification

Error

Ciprofloxasin - is this the best

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 18:23

Hi,

This is my first post.

I have an enlarged prostate, my last PSA was 6.3, my urologist didn't seem too concerned, I've had an MRI that didn't show anything sinister. However every so often I get prostatitis (presumed, not tested), I've got it now having started at the end of last week.

My concern is that this time I've been prescribed Ciprofloxasin. Having seen the warnings and the NICE guidance I'm really worried. Previously I was prescribed co-amoxyclav which seemed ok. So my question is have others here had Cipro and has anyone had a bad reaction to it? I'm taking it because I want the infection and pain gone, but having read the literature I've got myself into a bit of a state. I've queried it with my GP and he told me to stick with it as it is one of the few antibiotics that can 'cross into the prostate envelope'

Thanks for any responses.

All the best

Bob

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 19:11

Testing for infection in the prostate is probably very difficult, so using an antibiotic in the hope it will work is the only realistic treatment.

I had cipro prior to a trans rectal biopsy five years ago. The only adverse effect which may be attributed to it was getting tennis elbow about a month afterwards. I have never had any problems with ligaments before or since, and it may just be a coincidence. 

As always it is the professional medics who know best, so on balance we can presume you should take the cipro.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 07:38

Why does the doctor think you have bacterial prostatitis? Only about 20% of prostatitis is bacterial.

Yes, he's right that only a small number of antibiotics can cross the blood/prostate barrier, and Cyprfloxacin is the main one.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 22:01

I got prescribed Cipro early last year for 10 days, I had a dreadful time, I had a reaction and was off work 2 months, I couldn't hardly walk, could only sleep 2 hours a night, nerve shakes, I still have bad fatigue & to this day health issues from it, though I gather some are ok on it. 

Though, I went privately and had my semen tested and a Stamey test, both came back no infection, so I never required the Cipro from the NHS in the first place, the NHS were just guessing. My faith in NHS services on these issues is very badly shaken.