I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA levels high possible infection ?

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 15:05

Hi, recently I had a routine blood test beginning of august which picked up a high PSA of 7.45, had a DRE at the doctors and told to take another Blood test few weeks later which came back as 6.42, I was referred to see the urologist at Fitzwilliam hospital, Peterborough who performed another DRE & a bladder scan said prostate was enlarged & apparently I wasn’t emptying my bladder when I went to the toilet as there was still a few ml still in the bladder, I also had an occasional dull ache in my groin & left testicle.

Urologist said it’s a possible infection & proscribed antibiotics for urinary issues & told to take One tablet of Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 400mgm ( Contiflo XL) every day to help reduce prostate size!

I was also told to have another blood test two weeks after finishing the course of antibiotics, I had the blood test yesterday 28th September & results have come back at 6.5.

At my last appointment with the Urologist he did mention that if the results of this third test were still high next stage is an MRI.  I still occasionally get a little ache in my left testicle area and groin.  I’m 65 soon to be 66, what will I be looking at after the MRI if that’s showing something wrong?

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 16:03

Next step after MRI (if there are any areas of concern found) would likely be a biopsy of the affected area(s). Take each step as it comes (easier said than done I know). The waiting is the worst thing as most here will tell you. Good luck and if it helps you, do let us know how you get on. Always plenty of people around here that can give you guidance, advice and a sounding board.

Rgs

John

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 16:21
PCa, unless very advanced, does not cause pain so try not to assign every ache and pain to it - it's hard as we always look for explanations lol but that won't be causing pain.

UTIs can cause high PSA but they should diminish after antibiotic treatment so your UTI may have been masking early stages of PCa so yes, definitely get the MRI and if they see anything suspicious then you should get a biposy and probably that bone scan that we all get automatically these days.

Only then will you actually know what you are dealing with, even if it is anything.

Good luck - we are here for support :)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 16:03

Next step after MRI (if there are any areas of concern found) would likely be a biopsy of the affected area(s). Take each step as it comes (easier said than done I know). The waiting is the worst thing as most here will tell you. Good luck and if it helps you, do let us know how you get on. Always plenty of people around here that can give you guidance, advice and a sounding board.

Rgs

John

User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 16:09
Thanks, finding this group very helpful & supporting. When you live on your own sometimes the mind goes into overdrive thinking about it! 🙂
User
Posted 29 Sep 2023 at 16:21
PCa, unless very advanced, does not cause pain so try not to assign every ache and pain to it - it's hard as we always look for explanations lol but that won't be causing pain.

UTIs can cause high PSA but they should diminish after antibiotic treatment so your UTI may have been masking early stages of PCa so yes, definitely get the MRI and if they see anything suspicious then you should get a biposy and probably that bone scan that we all get automatically these days.

Only then will you actually know what you are dealing with, even if it is anything.

Good luck - we are here for support :)