I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radio therapy rethink

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 08:45

It's been announced today by the NHS, that in the future, RT will be completed in a week with 5 episodes & probably,  no HT.

A huge change - Thoughts???

User
User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 13:03

My thoughts are it is to save time and money I am glad I had my rt/ht 3 years ago 👍

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 13:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My thoughts are it is to save time and money I am glad I had my rt/ht 3 years ago 👍

also need for patient to attend less often.  If results are proven why not? It's not that long ago that 37 fractions moved toward 20 following the CHHiP Trial  which was also led by The Royal Marsden.

I was told they were experimenting in Japan using 5 fractions for Proton Beam Therapy a long time ago but there is a dearth of follow up information.

Barry
User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 14:55

I seem to recall I've read about previous clinical trials on the merits of the use and duration of HT in the initial treatment of prostate cancer. I thought that concluded HT in conjunction with RT is beneficial. this seems to contradict that.

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 16:37

I may be in line for ht/rt soon so this looks like a massive improvement from my anticipated 6 weeks of rt and years of ht

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 17:24

I may be in line for ht/rt soon so this looks like a massive improvement from my anticipated 6 weeks of rt and years of ht

The trial used medium risk patients, having their initial treatment. You are having salvage RT. I doubt they will change your treatment based on this trial.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 18:54

I was told they were experimenting in Japan using 5 fractions for Proton Beam Therapy a long time ago but there is a dearth of follow up information.

There's always been a dearth of information on the benefits of proton beam for prostate cancer. The NHS did a review in 2016 from what information it could find around the world, and found the long term side effects (particularly rectal issues) were slightly worse than with then current standard (photon/X-ray) external beam treatment.

The reports from the US proton centres all compare their (then) current proton beam with obsolete standard external beam treatment, not image guided, to show how much better they are. I rather doubt the US was so far behind us they were still using non-image guided treatment - rather the benefits in the reports were due to non-image-guided versus image guided, and not photons versus protons.

There was also an interesting twitter thread where several salvage prostatectomy surgeons were discussing why patients who had proton beam treatment had so much more fibrosis and damage to surrounding organs than the those who'd had conventional (photon/X-ray) external beam treatment.

Finally, we had a talk from an oncologist in a local support group who had been sending some of his private patients to have proton beam therapy, but had stopped doing this. He was a bit hazy as to why, but the results were not as good as standard IG-VMAT (conventional image guided photon/X-ray external beam) treatment.

I have seen reports that many prostate photon treatment centres in the US which have reached their EoL are not being replaced.

Edited by member 30 Sep 2023 at 18:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 22:25

Thanks for note of realism Dave. It’s easy to get carried away, especially when faced with something like this.

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 22:41

Taken at face value it tips the scales strongly to RT.  Although how many hospitals have the equipment and would PCa centres be set up at those with it. 

What is medium risk - I was medium upgraded to high after the op due to Gleason being higher.

Why no hormones? We're led to believe they're the final blow.

Salvage RT is mentioned above. You might think if a psma scan determined a single area this could be used if no other tissue is adversely affected.

5yrs results aren't conclusive but for older people at least it appears a good start.  With hormones or even a slightly increased number of treatments it can cover other cases.

This seems a great finding and just the start, it will be interesting to see how NICE administer it.

Edited by member 30 Sep 2023 at 22:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 23:53

Why no hormones? We're led to believe they're the final blow.

I would guess that's because they think that the RT has done such a complete job that HT is unnecessary. The HT always seemed a bit odd to me, given it's not great at knocking out cancer.

Jules

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 23:54
It doesn't mention hormones in the article so not sure why everyone thinks it's 1 week and no HT?
User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 00:25

The BBC article suggests all 874 men treated this way had no HT. Dave has found a slightly different set of figures but not all the sources are open access.

Jules

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 00:26

Franci, I only saw the interview on the BBC Saturday morning, I am pretty confident the oncologist said no HT.  

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 01 Oct 2023 at 10:18  | Reason: Changed this too Saturday,I didn't realise it was past midnight

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 09:49

Yes I recall it said no hormones. That's why it seems there is further to go with this reduced period of treatment.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2023 at 19:23
I remember when "Space-ore" was going to be a world changer - still waiting for that to happen.

Will the hospitals, have the gear to do this with?