Show search

Notification

Error

No MRI scan this year

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 16:55

Hi Guys,

Diagnoses 2021

Gleason 6  PSA 2.7 PSA to date 3.1 This is the third time that it is creeping up. I am on Active surveillance.

I have just had my three monthly chat with my Nurse and she says there in nothing to worry about with PSA Levels at the moment.

I asked when this years MRi scan would be and was told as the PSA Level is low there would be no MRI scan untill Dec 2024 if the PSA levels stay low.

I thought MRI scans were done yearly. Should I insist on a yearlyMRI scan. Two years is a long time to wait for a scan when PSA tests are not that relible. 

Any advice would help on this.

Thanks 

Les

User
Posted 03 Oct 2023 at 09:18

Hi Les

I have just gone onto AS. Gleason 3+4=7 originally, subsequently downgraded to 3+3=6 by a second pathologist, so I suspect somewhere borderline between the two. I am being told 3 monthly PSA checks (5.9 at diagnosis, up from 5.2 in May) with MRI in a years time unless test results warrant one sooner. I think yearly is the norm to start with from what I have learnt, but not sure of the longer term plan. Basically, if you are worried then I think it is reasonable to request one sooner than next December?

Regards

Ian.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2023 at 10:43

MRI should be done yearly, or it isn't really Active Surveillance.

You haven't put all your PSA results in your profile.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2023 at 17:14
Andy62

I will update my Profile sometime this week.

I guess No MRI scan is down to cost and what little time the NHS now. Its not right as Most of us worked and paid for thie treatment.

I am off to have another fight with a NHS eye consultent tomorrow. I wonder what will be said but I guess it will be due to cost and my age.